slide show

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Shamian Island and an exercise in patience, consistency and forgiveness


The photos likely speak for themselves. Just after breakfast we took the subway to Shamian Island. It was a beautiful day at a beautiful place. But adoption can be messy and hard, and even in the most beautiful of places on the most beautiful of days, it wonderful and beautiful at times and messy and hard at others.
Sometimes it just gets to hard for Ru and he just doesn't want to be a part of us any more. ie he goes off to sit by himself or worse tries to run towards traffic. Walking is hard even for a block, but he's made it very clear that strollers, piggie back rides and carrying him is out of the question. He isn't accepting much comfort yet either, but sometimes I can sit next to him in the middle of it all, (yes, in the middle of a public sidewalk) and rub his back. He doesn't like it much, so I'm not sure if I'm making it worse or not but I'm thinking somewhere deep inside he knows touch it good and accepts it. Maybe. Adoption mama's please feel free to weigh in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm​ catching up on your blog and couldn't help noticing how Ru is just like me! Proofing official documents and carefully following Lego directions! So me! I also shudder at the thought of someone touching me when I'm in a bad mood and I sometimes just can't wait to be alone so I can recharge my emotional energy and process stuff. I'm not an adoptive mom but I thought this little thought from a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) might be hopeful to you. Some of the things might just mean Ru is a normal HSP; he just isn't aware of his own needs yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011