slide show

Monday, November 21, 2016

Family Faves (Grammy's apple pie)


Photo creds go to Kate Eschbach Photography.
Katie and I had such a fun time making pies rotogether! Thank you sweet friend for the memories! 

I remember one time that I was in college visiting home. I hadn't been moved away from home very long, and I remember being especially homesick on this visit. I was homesick a lot when I first moved out of my home to college. I missed my parents, my house, my hometown and mom's cooking. I missed everything! Papa and I went to college together, and that helped, but still I was so homesick for so very long time. Actually that homesickness never really went away, but eventually it morphed into kind of an appreciation for home and childhood tucked away in a little hole in my heart that will never be filled. But on that day I went home, I remember asking my mom for some of my favorite recipes. This apple pie recipe is the first recipe that I ever included in my own recipe book, scribbled haphazardly onto a post-it note as my mom told it to me. It's one of those recipes that hadn't been written down until that moment seeing it was all in her head. My mom would probably tell you that she's not that good a cook, but I disagree. That apple pie proved it long ago! We have this pie every thanksgiving since it's a fabulous alternative to pumpkin pie, and this thanksgiving will be no exception! It has a wonderful fresh tart and sweet apple filling with the most wonderful sweet crumble crust. And it's easy. It's so easy it's one of the first recipes that I taught my daughters how to make.

For Sunny, who is now compiling her own recipe book and making her own apple pie in her own own home for The Airman, here you go, sweet wonderful daughter! We will miss you this Thanksgiving, so this is for you! Think of us when you eat the apple pie, and I'll definitely be thinking of you!

Grammy's Apple Pie with Crumble Crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees


  • 1 store bought pie crust. Prick the bottom with a folk, then bake empty at 350 degree and take it out just as it starts to turn golden brown. 
  • 5-7 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1 c. sugar
  • cinnamon
  • 3/4 c flour
  • 1/2+ c butter


In a large mixing bowl, mix sliced apple with 1/2 c sugar and sprinkle in cinnamon. Pour apple mixture into the pre-baked pie shell. Dot apples with butter. 
In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, butter remaining sugar, by cutting the butter into the four and sugar with a fork until the mixture is the consistency of a crumble throughout. Pile the crumble mixture on top of the apples, using your hands to gentle guide and pat the mixture onto the sides on the mound of apples. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Increase oven temp to 450 degrees and bake until the pie is golden brown on top, about 10 more minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011