slide show

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Clubfoot Relapse Treatment - The final chapter (hopefully)


Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,  and 7 are here. 

A year ago at this time, Jude was in a wheel chair and re-learning how to walk. His muscles had atrophied quite a bit in those months of treatment and casting, and learning how to walk again, regaining his strength and building muscles up was going to take longer than we thought. There's a wheelchair in the back ground of this video. Watching this video is tough for me. In the moment I was just a mama walking along side my child, helping him every way I could. But now there's plenty of time to reflect on how amazing my son is he and how far he has come! Did I mention how amazing Jude is! He is! He had only been out of full leg casts for less than 24 hours when I took this video, and it was the first time he had any weight baring on his legs in a couple months. My boy is so crazy brave and wonderful! 
And by the way, during all the treatment, casting and surgery, he missed the spring baseball season, and he was seriously pretty broken up about it because baseball to him is the end all be all!

A year later, lots of work and physical therapy and here he is now!
(In the red helmet at bat) 
When we adopted a child with a special needs, we always go into it expecting the worst case scenario.  If we choose special needs adoption as a way to grow our family, we absolutely must be prepared for it. Did I envision myself doing 2 sets of club foot treatment and flying across the United States by myself with our son for numerous visits to our orthopedic surgeon. No, I didn't. But it's what we needed to do. It was what we needed to do for our son so that in hind sight, no matter what the out come is, we can look back and know that we did all we could for his feet and his future. 
As adoptive mamas we must be prepared for the worst case scenario, financially, emotionally, logistically. Club foot is considered by many to be a minor and correctable special need, a relatively quick and easy fix, then it's done. I will tell you that we did everything right, to the letter, and still this kiddo relapsed... again. It's not always easy or quick. And that's the reality that we must be aware of and commit to when we say yes to the child. 
I was laughing at myself when I read this talking about how the outcome of Jude's clubfoot treatment is a best case scenario. Little did I know! Little did I know that he'd relapse, which even with the best follow through, this is always a possibility for our club feet kiddos, and we'd do about a year of PT to recover from it.
It's now16 months later and we still plan on continuing PT through the end of the year. But I think we are finally approaching the end of this most recent clubfoot relapse treatment journey. And honestly I'm ready for it to be over. Maybe he'll relapse again. Hopefully not. But if he does, we'll joyfully do everything in our power again to treat and help him recover.  We are crazy blessed that we have the resources to do that. 8 years ago we said yes to this child and everything that would come. My son is amazing, brave and strong. And I am blessed to have the privilege to have him as a son and a better mama and a better woman because of him.

2 comments:

  1. You are an awesome mama! And your kids are blessed to have a family like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Flor! Honestly, I really feel like the blessed one. My kids and their challenges, make me a better me. Stronger in ways I never thought I could be and more brave. I am blessed and honored to have this crazy wonderful child as my son!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011