slide show

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Wanna go with me to China?


No really!
Do you?
Would you like to go with me to China?
'Cause I'M GOING!

'Member when I said there were a couple big things coming down the cute? Like huge things? Well I told you about the first one that's happening in September. (If you're a blogger, I hope you're checking it out, 'cause it's gonna be awesome!) And, well, my trip to China is the other one! You heard me right! I did not say Walmart. Or a PTO meeting. Or the dentist. Or my horribly messy laudry room. I said half-way-around-the-world China, folks!

So here's the deets. ("Deets" is short for details as the teenagers tell me. I'm trying to stay young and hip, so I use words like "deets" to prove to the aforementioned teens that I'm not as old as the crypt keeper like they are inclined to believe. That's usually when they inform me that "deets" is so yesterday, and "hip" isn't even a term they're familiar with. Oh well. I'm trying. #IAmTheCryptKeeperAfterAll)

I'm combining 2 things that I'm so crazy passionate about, and if you've been reading this blog for any time at all you probably know what those 2 things are. Adoption and photography. And for those 2 reasons alone there was no way that I was not going. Eeeeekkkk! This is really happening! I'm going! I have the opportunity to do what I love to make a difference in a child's life. I'm kinda so happy and so excited about it that if I think about it too hard it honestly makes me cry.
Photo credit to Erin Martin Photography
April 9th-21st, I'll be going with a group from the Gladney Center for Adoption, (with my wonderful friend and fellow photographer, Erin! You'll surely be seeing her in photos.) to Shanghai and Changsha, China, to photograph and document Gladney's advocacy camps and the children there. And this is the part where you come in! The advocacy camps are an amazing opportunity for prospective adoptive parents (and those who are interested in meeting and then advocating for the amazing children in China who are looking for their forever families) to meet up with and interact with some of the wonderful special-needs children in China who are coming up for adopting! If you come, you would have the opportunity to visit two orphanages and interact with the children and get to know them. And be prepared to never be the same again! To date, I've had the honor of visiting 4 different orphanages in 3 countries. And while all very different, I found entering into an orphanage and interacting with the children and caregivers who call it home, a life-altering experience. Each time, it has made me see the world in a different way and appreciate all the little ordinary miracles that are in my life with a little more.
Photo credit to Erin Martin Photography
If you are a potential adoptive parent (with or without a current home study) who thinks you might be interested in meeting these children that will be available for adoption, I would LOVE to have you go with me to China for an experience of a lifetime! Really! There is an informational conference call next week that will be discussing the "deets" so you can see if this is something you'd be interested in participating in. Please contact Mary Chapman at Gladney at mary.chapman@gladney.org for more information!

If you can't go (and that makes me sad, but I understand.) I hope you'll follow along with me on my journey in April. I'm so stinkin' excited as you can imagine, and I plan on sharing with you everyday while I there.

8 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I'm so excited for you!! We participated in something similar (although I only flew to LA, not China!). We did orphan hosting over the holidays (I REALLY wish they'd rename the program). A 9-year-old little boy from China stayed with us for a month. It was a wonderful experience.

    Can't wait to follow your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH HOW I WISH!!! I will definitely be hanging on your every photo and living it through your trip. HAVE FUN!! But oh how hard on your heart it will be at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish with every ounce of my heart I was able to go! :'( I look forward to following along virtually, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness how exciting. I would love to go one year. I know it will all be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing! How I would love to go. I know it will be a powerful trip for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! We will experience vicariously - through your beautiful photography. You have a gift for writing and photography - a wonderful combination, dear Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds awesome! We are 100% not adopting, but it would be an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our daughter is from Hunan! Can't wait to see your pictures

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011