slide show

Thursday, December 10, 2015

The elf issue


The stress level at the crazy house has been kinda high lately.
I won't go into the details as of why, but it doesn't surprise me. Sadly Christmas has a way of doing that to me. I wish with all my heart that I was the kind of mom that got all excited for the holidays to roll around, but honestly, it's usually quite stressful. So much to do and a lot of the time I feel like I fall short on most all of it.

Baking.
Gift purchasing.
Gift wrapping.
Card giving.
Church productions.
Tree trimming.
The bar feels like it is set so high with all of it.
So much to do on top of a already go-go-go world.

I guess I just wanted to put this out there for anyone else that was feeling overwhelmed with all the extras that come with Christmas. You're not alone. I am with ya, sister girlfriend! Completely with that glazed look in my eyes with I see another Pinterest project that needs to be done.

Case in point... the elf.

We've never done the whole Elf on a Shelf thing here for the above reasons. I just did not want to set myself up for another failure, something that I knew I wouldn't be able to follow through on, only to disappoint my sweet things and then back peddle an excuse why.

Until now, that is!

Enter the world's best big sister ever.
And I mean EVER!
Liv asked me if she could do the whole elf on a shelf thing this year. All of it! She assured me I wouldn't have to lift a finger. The buying the book and elf. The daily transitions. The clean up. The remembering. Everything! And it really almost made me cry.

That's her in the above pic reading the Elf book to the little ones so the adventure could begin!
So I'm trying to remember that not doing it all isn't a bad thing. I'm carefully picking traditions that the family will enjoy and that I can find time and energy to follow through on. AND I'm gladly accepting reinforcements to help me spread holiday cheer in my home whenever, however, and whoever offers it! And if something doesn't get done, then so be it. I'm gonna be okay with that. Okay with traditions we've never missed don't get done this year. I'm just gonna roll with it. (She says in a self-reaffirming way.) And we might even start some new traditions this year, like Merry, our elf! No matter what, we're gonna celebrate Christmas together, and that's the biggest thing in the end. Complete with one mischievous elf!

4 comments:

  1. The best big sister ever! I agree! Could you send Liv here as well every day to deal with the Elf! I'm running out of ideas and I'm not doing any of the crazy time consuming stuff others are. :) Third year of doing ours and Elli is starting to question the whole elf thing. But on the other hand she is writing letters to her and making gifts for her to take to Santa (because Santa doesn't get presents, he just delivers them to all the children so he needs one as well). This year seems to be the last one for her with the Christmas magic as a child. I've been getting questions that I try my best to dodge to keep the magic going a little bit longer and not spoil it for her this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think folks are going to start a bidding war on Liv's services! I'm a luky mom indeed!

      Delete
  2. I have the same problem with the Christmas season. I wish we could skip from Thanksgiving to Valentine's day. :/

    We don't do Santa or the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny, so it was really easy to not go down the Elf path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I borrow Liv? Our elf forgot to move this AM and I got busted! (In her defense, the elf took NyQuil last night!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011