slide show

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Clubfoot Relapse Treatment - Part 4


Parts 1, 23 and now 4.

If you're following me on Facebook or Instagram, then this is a rehash. But if you're not then let me tell you what we're up to right now. Like the kind of stuff you gotta do but you really hope you don't have to do.
First Cathy, a nurse from Dr. Dobb's office and is totally awesome sauce, removes Jude's 3rd set of casts. His choice was red and green last week. Just in time for Christmas? Whatever. It's his choice.

The iPad has been a welcomed distraction and blessing for a lot of part of this journey.
And then we knew it was coming all along, but that didn't make it any easier.
Surgery.
I mean there is no way around it. Watching your child being rolled off to surgery is not easy. No matter what. It just isn't. I'd be lying if I denied that I didn't tear up and had a knot in my stomach as they took my son.
My son.
Please take care of him. And I knew they would because this doctor's office now feels like family. They're just like that. But I still had to say out loud what was repeating in my head.
Jude's surgery wasn't huge. But it was surgery. About 2 hours which is plenty long for me.
In between the very short and infrequent sleep, he's spending plenty of time distracting himself from the discomfort with my phone, orange sherbet and hospital tv. I don't know if an iPhone ever cured anyone, but I'm pretty sure orange sherbet has. I mean orange sherbet fixes everything, right?
He's still recovering and currently we're staying the night in a hotel in St. Louis. Recovery so far has been tough for him. The combination of pain management, homesickness, lack of sleep and narcotics is making it hard for him to relax. I know that seems the opposite of what narcotics is suppose to do, but he's having trouble articulating and defining why he's having a tough time.  I'm in bed with him right now, canoodling, and that seems to be just as if not more effective than the pain killers.

Tomorrow we fly back to AZ. Both casts are up to his groin and both are completely non-weight bearing so I'm a little nervous about the flight seeing as how the plane bathroom is completely out of the question. And for a lot of other little reasons. But we're going home nevertheless!

Click here for part 5

2 comments:

  1. wow, what a trooper! Praying for your little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ren. He's doing so much better now. Still not in school but probably returning sometime this week.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011