slide show

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Mimi's post-op tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy

7 kiddos later and I find it kinda odd that we hadn't dealt with a tonsillectomy before now. But we hadn't, and Mimi was the first. Due to sleep apnea (Seriously folks, that girl snored! And more importantly, she was struggling to get her breath when she was sleeping. A simple iPhone video of her labored breathing while sleeping eliminated the need for a sleep study thank golly!) we decided  that it was best to get them out now. Her tonsils were really big and the doc thought her adenoids probably were too. As it turned out, her adenoids were even bigger.

I talked to lots of moms who had been there, done that, and heard a lot of stories. Most of them had a common theme.
The surgery was the easy part.
The recovery was a bear.

So we bought lots of ice cream, popsicles, and jello and prepared for the worst.
Coming out of surgery was tough. Maybe it's even tougher on moms cause the patient doesn't even remember any of the crying or the drool or misery. The nurse told me at one point post-op Mimi decided she wanted nothing to do with all the tubes and wires on her and decided to pull them all out. By the time I got to be with her, she was pretty up set and still really groggy. In the pic above she's still pretty upset with all the stuff on her hands, only half conscious and can't figure out what to with her hands. But in a couple hours she was coming around, and we were on our way home. 

The next couple days weren't great. But they weren't awful either. She didn't really want to eat or drink anything including all that ice cream or popsicles. But we were able to keep her hydrated with yellow Gatorade, the only color she was willing to drink and sweet sister Livy ran out to buy her.

By day 3 she was starting to smile, seem more like herself and ice cream with chocolate syrup was getting consumed 4-5 times a day. 

By day 5 she was still complaining about a soar throat, but she was splashing in the pool, playing with her brothers and sisters and starting to eat with the rest of us. 

On day 6 I begged the doctor to give her the okay to go back up the mountain to Little Cabin in the Woods. 115 degree isn't conducive to healing I explained. He agreed. 

And 2 weeks later, her she is!
Her smiley, bubbly, giggly, happy self! And I'm glad to have her back!

She's sleeping SO much better now! No more snoring at all! Her bed wetting has been reduced by more than half, and she's not falling asleep in the middle of the day like she used to. In general she just seems more refreshed and well rested than prior to surgery. 

All in all, I think we lucked out and had a pretty fast and uneventful recovery. And for that I am so thankful! 


  1. Glad she's doing well. I had my tonsils out in 19... um... some years ago and I still remember the pain.

  2. I had mine out at 26, lost 10 lbs and couldn't speak for weeks. Glad to hear Mimi got better so fast :)

  3. Awwww loved that last pic!! What a smile!!

  4. The end is always better than the beginning.
    God bless her little heart. And throat. <3


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011