slide show

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Annual Pow Wow pics!


The only unfortunate part about going to Vietnam was that I missed the pow wow that I attend every year.  I go for 3 days in a row each June, so I was kinda mad that I couldn't go this year, but let's be real here... I was in amazing Vietnam!  But still I was sad that I missed one of my very favorite festivities of the year.  

Anyone watching that tv show, Who Do You Think You Are?  We've been loving that show here at the Crazy house.  My favorite episodes are the ones where they learn more about their grandparents or great grandparents, the generations that aren't that far back.  Cause let's face it, if you go back far enough, you're likely to hit on something amazing eventually.  

If I go back far enough, back to my great great grandmother, I have Native American blood coursing in me.  I knew my great grandmother, who was half Choctaw Indian, and she died when i was 13 years old.  I wish I had known her longer and known more about this part of her life.  Maybe that's why I feel drawn to the pow wows.  Don't get me wrong, I feel totally out of place at a pow wow, like a tourist with a camera.  But I still love attending. 

Later in the summer, I was briefly visiting my parents.  My papa, who always seems to know the best little things that ever go on, took me to this tiny little pow wow in my home town.  This one was very unlike the pow wow that I attend each summer by our Little Cabin in the Woods.  It was tiny!  And unlike the other annual pow wow I attend that has tribes represented from all over the nation, there was only one people represented here, the Paipai people. 

It was hot.  
It was dusty.  
I was sweaty.  
The sun was high in the sky, the worst time of day to take photos.  
The Paipai people stretch down into northern Mexico, and there were several participants at this pow wow that spoke no English, only Spanish and Paipai.  Their costumes weren't as ornate, yet more colorful.  The drums and instruments were quieter.  Many of the women wore their hair straight down or in a single braid down the back, unlike the ornate french braiding that I was used to seeing.  Many had these amazing beaded capes over their dresses.  There was no fry bread or snow cones but at one point, they stopped the whole thing and served a spaghetti dinner, made with bison meat, for everyone that was there... for free.  

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. 
I wasn't there long, but as always, pow wows touch my soul.  And this one, although it was a totally different flavor, was no different.

And I couldn't leave you without any pow wow pictures this year!

PS-Don't let the swastika alarm you.  "The broken cross" is a symbol of the sun, the four directions, and the four seasons and can even be good luck!  These amazing people were wearing it long before Hitler. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your pow wow photos... my favorite that you do!!! We are in Durango... so not very far (culturally). :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Pow Wow photos are WOW! WOW! Photos!!! I hold these photos dear to my heart. These are some of my favorites from you. My father was a Tunaci Indian and passed away when I was very young. I only wish that I could have experienced meeting many other relatives and learning more about the tribe in which he was apart of. Our dad made sure that our birth certificates reflected "Indian" but what he used to register us is nowhere to be found. Apparently he had something legal to have that changed after he noticed the "race" wrong on the birth certificate. I could go on and on about this, but your post conjures up some bittersweet memories. I look forward to this annually...thank you so much for your beautiful gift of photography.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011