slide show

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hanoi Market

I'm going to try real hard to wrap up the Vietnam photos this week.  Honestly if I can get all my travel pics edited in less than 2 months then I'm pretty stinkin' happy with myself. 

But before I do I have to show one of my favorite things that we did, and that was right before the Liv cooking class Liv and I took, we went to a neighborhood market and were given a tour.  It's kinda a makeshift albeit permanent space between a couple buildings covered with tarps and riddled with maze-like pathways.  It was morning when we had our tour so the market was in full swing.  Motorbikes and bicycles and pedestrians of all shapes and sizes were buzzing around.  

First the butcher section.  Beef, pork, chicken... and every single part of beef pork and chicken that you can imagine. Yes, we were given samples. It was kinda like Costco in that way.  
Well kinda.  
But not really. 
I loved this vendor sitting on top of the counters as she worked and the cutting block in front of her that she was working on.  
Then the produce section.  Lots of fruits and veggies that I recognized.  And lots of fruits and veggies that I didn't recognize. 
Then the seafood section.  Did I mention it was fresh?  At one point a big ol' fish flopped out at our feet.  
I love the dichotomy of old versus new in this pic. 
This is the egg section of the market.  Chicken eggs and duck eggs and lots of others most likely.  Raw eggs.  Cooked eggs.  White eggs and brown eggs.  And yes the ever popular balut.  If you don't know what that is, I'll let you look that up here.  Ummm no.  I didn't try any.  I'm adventurous.  Not that adventurous. 
This is the fish-head, larva, unidentifiable-guts, some-veggie-I-don't-recognize vendor.   And just to give you the whole picture, the larva were squirming around in those 2 bowls. 
The herb section.
Those boots she's wearing mean business!
Then we came to the clam, mollusk, snail, frog (in the green mesh bag) section of the market. 
The root department?  I don't really know.  I'm totally guessing.  If you have any idea what this is below, holler.  
A month later and my jet lag is totally gone.  And I'm missing being there.  We've been to China and Vietnam now and both hold a special place in our hearts.  Especially since these countries will always be "home" to 3 of our children.  And as much as I learned and enjoyed China, Vietnam holds my heart. I tell people all the time the I'd go live there in a hot second if I could.  I miss the realness of the place and the smiles of the people.

Who knows... maybe someday we will.  A girl can dream, can't she?!

7 comments:

  1. WOW! Wow! Wow!! You captured Vietnam at every angle!! I'm kinda sad that we are getting to the end of the Vietnam photos, I have enjoyed them immensely! I will admit the balut and the squirming larvae almost made me pass out!! Oh My GOSH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vietnam cam through your picture are so raw and real. Yes this is a real Vietnam, life in Vietnam is constanstly in motion, so vibrant that you have captured very well in these images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, that means SO much coming from you. And they way you describe it, "life constantly in motion, so vibrant..." what a perfect description! I loved this market cause I thought it was just a real glimpse into everyday life.

      Delete
  3. By the way, those roots are bamboo shoots, they are delicious as sauté in garlic with beef, or pork, and it is used to make duck, and chicken noodle soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi! I think it's totally pathetic that I can't recognize bamboo shoots if they're not in a can or stir fry. Pathetic!

      Delete
  4. The white conical things in the 'root department' are bamboo shoots. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photographs with us! I always like coming over to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors and soft contrast are just incredible. What a journey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011