slide show

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Guest Post {Livy}


The photos here are from Livy's graduations announcement
As most of you know my mom and I are going on a trip to Vietnam very next week!  This trip has been a dream of mine for several years now.  During my last trip to Vietnam in 2008, when I was 12 years old, I fell in love with the country and had a dream that I would return some day.  I wanted to go back. And although I loved the food and the sightseeing, the part that stuck with me even at that young age was going to Tess and Jude's orphanage.  I knew it would be impossible to go back to that orphanage, but I wasn't willing to let my dream go that easily.  For several years now my mom and I have been searching the internet, web sites, and making inquiries about a trip where we could
get our "hands dirty" and see what orphanage life is actually about.  I want to help.  I want to make a difference.  I want to kiss the baby's cheeks and teach the young girls to jump rope.  I want to show them that the world is full of love and let them know that someone like me, loves them.  Now that I am graduating high school it seems to be a perfect time to dream big, and set goals.

One day about a month ago, just standing in the kitchen after school, my mom looked up and casually asked me, "would you like to go to Vietnam?"   I actually thought she was joking!  It wasn't till the next day when she asked again, that I started  thinking my dream might actually come true!

At first I was so excited but also scared about how much it would cost just to get there. I knew my parents would help me out with the cost, but I knew they couldn't do it all.  Nor would I expect them to do that.  After all this was my dream, and it just wouldn't be or as meaningful if I didn't put some of my own money towards the trip.  My parents and I decided that if I could pay my own airfare (WOW was THAT expensive!) and a few other little things such as some of the donations and my own souvenirs and supplies, they could manage the rest.  In each graduation announcement I mailed out I included a note asking if anybody could please help by donating to my trip.  I have been so thankful for the wonderful responses and support that I received that made it possible for me to go!  I am actually going back to Vietnam, the country that I fell in love with just 5 short years ago.

5 days from now, Mom and I will be getting on the plane and taking a long long long flight, across the world to my dream come true.  Okay we're actually going to San Francisco first.  Then Tokyo.  Than Hanoi.  Then collapsing in a hotel room followed by a morning van ride for a couple more hours.  Then finally we get to the dream come true part!  The long journey will definitely be worth the experience.

The last time I stepped into the orphanage in Vietnam,  it was hot and I was sweaty.  We were served hot tea, which seemed almost cruel.  We stayed about 3 hours, got a quick tour of the place, and walked out with my new brother and sister!  This time it's still going to be hot.  I will still drink the hot tea, porridge with fish flakes, or foreign mystery food if I am offered.  But this time I'm going to be staying there a while longer, over several nights, and getting to know the children and orphanage life and how I can help both right now and in the future.  Because this won't be my last trip.  I'm definitely going back!  This is going to be the beginning of new adventure in my life.  No new brother or sister for me this time, but 80 new children with a place in my heart.

The last time I was there, I left Vietnam a changed person.
I wonder what kind of me will be returning home this time.

Livy, the Unstoppable


9 comments:

  1. Livy -
    You are an extraordinary young woman! Wise beyond your years. I am sure you will be as blessed as the children you are going to love on. I can't wait to hear of your adventures and wish you many blessings.
    You are unstoppable - how awesome is that!?
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's the kind of girl i want my sons to find someday <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of doing this with my daughter someday

    Livy's dream reminds me of the song, "Oceans", which I am SURE you have heard a couple hundred times.

    You call me out upon the waters
    The great unknown where feet may fail
    And there I find You in the mystery
    In oceans deep
    My faith will stand

    And I will call upon Your name
    And keep my eyes above the waves
    When oceans rise
    My soul will rest in Your embrace
    For I am Yours and You are mine

    Your grace abounds in deepest waters
    Your sovereign hand
    Will be my guide
    Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
    You've never failed and You won't start nowSpirit lead me where my trust is without borders
    Let me walk upon the waters
    Wherever You would call me
    Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
    And my faith will be made stronger
    In the presence of my Savior

    I will call upon Your name
    Keep my eyes above the waves
    My soul will rest in Your embrace
    I am Yours and You are mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brought tears to my eyes. You've done a good job raising her

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great Livy! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU GO GIRL!! You are unstoppable! And your heavenly Daddy is gonna use you to do GREAT things! Nancy you got a world changer on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Livy. You make us all want to be unstoppable! We love you and our prayers are with you! Hug those babies for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, Livy. You are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will change the hearts of those 80 children. They will know that they are loved....... by an incredible young woman. Go girl...... live your dreams, they are wonderful!

    With love from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011