slide show

Saturday, April 26, 2014

We're going back to Vietnam!

Hanoi, Vietnam, 2008.  The view from our hotel room. 
We've told all our kiddos that on their 18th birthday we'd take them on a trip.  Most anywhere.  Well kinda... within reason that is.  That it would be kinda of a 18th birthday-high school graduation trip of sorts with one parent.

When Sunny graduated, for some crazy reason, she opted out.  We really were pushing for a trip to New York City, but there were some things going on and the timing just wasn't right for her.

But I think Liv was listening to all that 2 years ago thinking Sunny was crazy-whompus for not taking us up on the offer.  Livy, the eternal humanitarian, started dreaming big right then about her own trip.
Where did she want to go?
How big could she dream?
How far could she push the envelope?
Our visits here and here and here solidified something big for her... she wanted to help "the least of these."

Livy came to me over a year ago and told me she wanted to visit an orphanage in either Vietnam or Africa for her graduation trip.  I had no idea where to start looking for a trip like that.  I know nothing about Africa.  But Vietnam has been in my heart and soul since the moment I left, so I started off by narrowing down the search to Vietnam.  It was literally months of emails, dead ends and lots of stuff that just didn't feel right.  But eventually through one of my Vietnam adoption groups I stumbled on Project Being There.  More on them later.  Lots more.  But for now, I'll say it was the first organization that I looked into that just felt like exactly what we were looking for.  A not-for-profit small grassroots organization that just was for the orphans of Vietnam.  Honestly, I didn't know if Liv's dream trip to Vietnam was actually going to happen.  At all. After all I plan trips like this in advance.  Like WAY in advance.  Months and maybe even a year in advance.  This time it's all getting thrown together in less than a month!

It's official.
I booked 2 flights this weekend!
Liv and I are going back to VIETNAM!
Livy and I at the Temple of Literature in Hanoi, Vietnam, Sept, 2008. 

Livy,12 years old, is holding Jude because Papa blew out his back on day 3 of the trip. 
We were very very thankful to have an extra set of hands on the trip.  I have Tess.  



But get this!  That's not all!

We'll be staying in an orphanage and helping out!  We don't really even know how we're actually going to "help out" yet, but I plan on rolling up my sleeves and doing whatever they'll have me do.  Maintenance.  Painting.  Playing with the children.  Spreading as much luv as I can.  Whatever!  We're game.  We will actually be staying AT the orphanage, sleeping there, eating with the children.  I've been told not to expect much... except scabies, lice, 85 degree temps with 85% humidity, and a family of children and their caregivers that do the best they can with what they have and all the love they can muster.  Ya... we wanna be a part of that!

So in less than a month, hours after Livy's graduation ceremony to be specific, we're boarding a plane to Vietnam!  When we stepped in the first orphanage almost 6 years, I saw how it changed Livy.  It changed how she viewed the world and her place in it.  She's just 17 years old, and this will be Livy's 4th orphanage visit.  I can't imagine and am so excited for how it's molding who she is.  Look out world!

If you tune in here regularly, you are gonna hear a LOT about the preparations, my feelings about returning to Tess and Jude's homeland for the first time, what we'll be doing while we're there, how you can help.  Ya, I'm gonna ask you for a bit of a favor... for the little ones.  I never imagined it would take us 5 1/2 years to get back to this amazing country!  But here we go.

Stay tuned... it's gonna be a wild ride!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that is SUPER exciting!!! Can't wait to hear more<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome Nancy!! what a beautiful heart your Liv has!! you must be so proud!! can't wait to read more about your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am over the moon proud of her, Tish! She is just an amazing young lady and so fearless.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! We are going to go help at an orphanage in Costa Rica in November. I can't wait to read all the details of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am over the moon happy for you guys! So exciting! I can't wait to follow your journey! Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. I'm so excited for you and Liv. What an amazing experience for you both. I've thought about doing something like this down the road, about giving back just a ounce of the amazing love and care the orphanage gave to my daughter. We are hoping to go back to Taiwan in the next two years as a family so she can see where she lived, see the culture that is a part of who she is, and get an authentic taste of he absolute favorite foods!

    I can't imagine what an experience this will be for both of you. And if you need a favor, ask away. I have so much and those kids have so little. I'd be thrilled to help out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for the offer. I'm coordinating now seeing what they need. I'll be sure to let you (and all) know. I do hope you get your trip to Taiwan too someday.

      Delete
  6. This is so awesome! I can't wait to follow along!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord should be praised."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so, so excited for you!!! I'm pretty sure I'm more excited that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful, blessed thing to do! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We do something similar with our kids, though we decided they could choose the family vacation. My first one chose Paris (since we didn't set a distance limit)…. Now I'm torn on whether to limit number 2 to domestic travel or not. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011