slide show

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

making new friends


I've had an amazing gift recently.  It feels a bit Jr. High and that "innocence" of it has me mulling it over all the more and feeling deeply grateful.

I made a new friend.
I have 3 best friends in my life.  I value these women dearly and "invest" in them.  We don't talk everyday, but they are the ones that I can go to and tell my big worries, and I know I'm safe.  And they do the same for me.  It has to be a two-way street like that or best friends don't work.
But as for the other friends, I will be honest and say that I really haven't invested much time or energy into having any.  Did I mention the 7 kiddos?  The laundry?  The dust bunnies?  Not to mention the facts that some folks just don't get us.  And that's totally okay.
Then I stumbled into my new friend, Kate.  Strangely I met her all the way over in California earlier this month when I went here.  We got to talking and realized she lives about 5 minutes away from me.  We drove home all the way together and couldn't stop talking.  Like that Jr. High slumber party you went to and talked late into the night about everything under the moon.  It was just like that without the frozen bras.
She's into photography like me.  She's an adoptive mama like me.  She has a couple million dust bunnies like me.  And she amazingly cute kiddos like me.  She blogs like me. And has a hubby she adores like me.  Not that I adore her hubby.  I'm sure he's great and all though.
But this week Kate and I got together again and took up talking just like we left off.  It was kinda strange making a really good friend like that so fast, and I think we both knew it.  What is it about women that seem to have a tough time doing this?  Maybe they feel the season for doing it is past.  Maybe y'all don't, but I do have tough time making friends.  I worry often that it's just not worth the investment of my time and my heart.  I've been burned in the past, and I'm sure some of it was my fault.  It's so easy to get wrapped up into life and diminish the importance of plain ol' friendship.  But I really believe that women especially are wired this way, to share and give and take and bond with other women.  And I feel that I've been missing this.
So Kate and I went to explore a new photography location.  This little spot is about to bust with yellow wildflowers in the next few weeks.   We happened to have two sweet patootie models in the car, Mimi and Kate's son, Riley.  Aren't they the cutest together?  He's a year younger than my petite girl.  And we figured out where the shots were in the location with our kiddos.
They were so shy around each other at first.  Kinda scoping each other out.  And before we knew it, they were running around the desert, throwing rocks and laughing.  And I thought how it's so similar to how adults make friends too, and how it really doesn't change all that much as we grow.  Except for that rock throwing thing.
It's a great feeling to have a friend to share life with.  I'm pretty sure that's what Kate and I are going to do.  We're gonna talk about adoption, and photography, and blogging, and cry a bit, and laugh a lot and just share life with someone else that gets it.  And so I'm feeling particularly blessed these days, stumbling into another ordinary miracle when I didn't even know I needed one.

10 comments:

  1. I knew that was Riley when I saw the first bit of red hair! I'm a follower of Kate too! I saw a glimpse of her in your photography pictures. She's wonderful. AB-SO-LUTE-LY wonderful! I'm so, so glad you found a friend in her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shorts? I wanna move to az! Does it get hot in the summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, only if you think 120 is hot. Ya, it gets pretty warm here in the summer.

      Delete
  3. Friends are such blessings, amen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do want to purchase cs6. Can you please explain what the deal is with no longer being able to get hard copies of it? Is the outrageously expensive subscription the only possible way to get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hard copies of PS are going the way of the great white whale. Last I checked you could still get a hard copy of cs6 via Amazon. But in the future only the subscription will be the way to get it. The subscription does make it possible to work on your pics from multiple computers though.

      Delete
  5. Are downloads from Amazon (not the cd) hard copies, or will they have me enter my credit card for a subscription if I chose to go that route?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, you'd have to investigate that one. I got a cd in the mail of cs6 from Amazon via USPS when I heard they were going to the Creative Cloud/subscription service since I SO don't like subscription stuff. I really wanted the CD in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is why I love blogs!! It gives you a peek into other people lives. I would have guessed you to be a person who had a ton of girlfriends. However, it makes sense, that you have been busy raising 7 kids for the past 20 years! I am glad that you found someone that you trust and can share your experiences with, it is invaluable!!! BTW...the pictures are stunning...as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun that you both did blog posts about this. And I love comparing your two editing styles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011