slide show

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Beginner's Photography Class - Registration now open!


Our little ones stay little for a very short period of time, and before we know it they are grown and gone.  So if you are letting your camera make all the decisions for you in auto mode, then you are missing out on capturing the fleeting ordinary miracles that are all around you!  Don't let your big girl camera sit on auto mode!  You can learn to do more with it in this this class!

***Registration is now OPEN!***  
Class size will be limited and is first come first serve.
Click HERE to register.  Class starts March 17, 2014

It's no secret that I love photography!  And I also adore sharing what I know about photography! Manual 'n More will begin on March 17, 2014 and is a 8-week, online course for beginning photographers who want to move beyond auto mode and take back the control over their camera and learn to shoot in Manual mode so they can capture the memories around them.  I want to give you both the information you need to capture images like the ones you envision and a place to practice what you are learning.  Our class will be a place where you can ask questions, get feedback, and learn from what others are doing and asking too!  I'll keep it simple, use easy-to-understand language, and give step-by-step instructions that will help you learn how to really use your DSLR more than if it were an fancy point-n-shoot camera.

What does Manual 'n More cover?
---Exposure-what it is and why it's critical to understand
---Apertures and depth of field
---Shutter speeds and ISO and how they affect your photos
---How to read your camera's light meter
---Putting all the pieces together and choosing the camera settings to get the photo you envision

---Different metering and focus modes--what they do and how know which one to use
---Techniques for getting sharp and crisp focus

---Introduction to compostion

How does the class work?
This beginning course is 8 weeks long and is chock-full of information, offering 2-3 lessons for the first 6 weeks.  We will learn about the basics and demystify terms like exposure triangle, aperture and ISO.  Then we will put all the pieces together and empower you to shoot in manual mode.  But there's more!  While you're practicing shooting in manual mode, we'll move on to metering, and learn some great techniques for getting sharp focus.  The last 2 weeks of the class will be devoted to practicing, letting it all sink in, review and asking more questions I'll be available the whole time to answer questions and provide personalized feedback and guidance to help you through the process!  There will be a private forum just for our class, where you can share your photos and questions {or not} any time of day.  You'll also be able to see and learn from what the other students in the class are doing and asking.  Yes, there will be homework, but unlike that chemistry class you took in high school, all homework is totally optional and due whenever and if-ever you you want!  There is no need to be online at any particular time because you choose when to check in and work at your own pace.  You can participate during nap time, in the middle of the night, only on the weekends, or whenever you find an opportunity.  I'll likely be there in my horribly-embarrassing holey yoga pants, so I invite you to pull up your laptop and make yourself comfortable any time of day or night too!  

What do I need to take the class?  
---A DSLR camera
---Access to the Internet and a Facebook account
---Enthusiasm and time to learn and practice

How much does it cost?
Registration cost is $179.  Sound like something you'd like to participate in?  

***Registration is now OPEN!***  
Class size will be limited and is first come first serve.
Click HERE to register.  Class starts March 17, 2014

What do other students think of the class?

I took another class and decided I was too dumb to learn photography.  You have given my hope that I CAN.  You make it all make sense and give awesome feedback along the way.  THANK YOU!!! ~Jodi


I am truly  blown away by how much I learned in your class.  You put everything you had into making yourself and the material accessible to all of us, and what a difference it made.  It was amazing to see the transformation in not only my own pictures, but everyone's in the class.  I found that learning the appropriate  ways to focus and meter for varying situations was essential to capturing the images I wanted.  I think these essential pieces of instruction are often missing from other basic photography classes.  I also loved your tips and encouragement for finding our own style.  But most of all I loved how you  made learning to use the camera in manual mode interactive and fun!  I felt like I had a teacher, a mentor, and a friend walking beside me and helping me capture treasured moments and memories.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for being so responsive and so willing to share your talent and knowledge.  ~Ashlee

Thanks for everything, Nancy.  I had to tell you a funny story that happened.  I had printed a few pictures off at Walgreens.  When I picked them up the teenage clerk said that there was a slight problem and that a couple of the photos looked like a professional photographer had taken them and did I have permission to make prints?  I actually had to sign a copyright waiver!  It made me feel great that they thought my photos were stolen and I thanked the clerk for his compliment!  ~Cathy

Hope to see you there... holey yoga pants and all!

 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting. Good luck with your class, Nancy! <3

    P.S. You iz Wonder Woman. 'Cause you find time for everything. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh NOT true. You should SEE the dust bunnies in my house! Not a pretty thing.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to take your class! Is it US citizen only? I live in Scandinavia ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Lilla. I've had students all over the world. You would need Internet connection and a Facebook account though. Holler if you have any more questions.

      Delete
  3. That's great! I've been following your blog for a while, as we have adopted our little sister. I love to take photos, and feel that there is SO much more I would love to learn.
    However, one of the "criteria" is time... So I've taken a good, honest look at myself, and found that I would enjoy the class so much more when we're not redoing our house.
    I will of course still be following your blog, and when you open for your next class, count me in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How often do you have your classes? I would be interested but at the moment I cannot really move around so taking pictures can be challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ina, I will likely offer this class again late this year. If you would like me to put you on the interest list, send me your email and I can let you know when it starts.

      Delete
  5. is there still availability? I would love to join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, it was sold out and then I had a student that needed to take the class a different time. So that opened up one more spot. Last I saw, it was still available! Hope to see you there! Go here for the details of the class and how to register http://nancyvnjourney.blogspot.com/2014/02/beginners-photography-class.html

      Delete
  6. Some day when I finally buy a fancy camera, I am going to join your class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love love love to have you, Amber!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011