slide show

Monday, October 28, 2013

Regular ol' weekend stuff


It's weird how things work out sometimes.
Long before we visited VietNam, before Tess and Jude came home, before I started making Viet food and hosting Tet parties each year,
Before we even had a clue what VietNam would mean in our lives, Papa and I loved Viet food.  
Like adored Viet food!
When I was pregnant with Liv and Patch, I craved bò lá lốt and phởand Papa traveled 30 minutes one way to pick up take out from our favorite little Viet restaurant across town for a very pregnant me.  So when VietNam became a part of our lives forever, Viet food was already a part of us.  And it still is.  With those who know us well I joke when they ask why we picked the country of VietNam to adopt from.  Because it has the best food in the whole world of course! 

This weekend we did something we do frequently.  We became the minority.  We jumped feet first into the Viet community, ate at our one favorite restaurants, and shopped at our favorite Viet Grocery.  
Lucky for us our little Chinese sweetie loves herself some Viet noodle soup!
So then we headed over to the Viet market and picked up all the ingredients to make a lamb green curry.
There's something really big about letting our Asian kiddos blend in every once in a while.
And there's something equally as big {and important}about us not blending in once in a while too.  
Unfortunately in our very Caucasian community, we have to go out of our way to do it, and thankfully it's just a 20 minute drive to get smack dab in the middle of the smallish Asian community in our big city.  If money were no object and I spread some more of that pixy dust, I'd move our whole family in the middle of it.
But for now we have to settle for just an afternoon.
And really yummy lamb curry later on!

3 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMMMMMM - seriously! I feel you on a love of the food. Sounds like a wonderful afternoon was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to say I have never had Viet food. Nope. Now Thai, yes...lots. We probably should've adopted our kids from Thailand. We eat way more Thai food than Chinese food. But I've been making a few new Chinese dishes so we can enjoy it more at home. It's better that way with an almost 2yo in tow. lol

    p.s.- I love how you lugged your big girl camera around with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are ALL so adorable. All of you. <3

    And I so want that noodle soup!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011