slide show

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

"Mrs. Goodkind ran into her door?"



You may remember that it was one of my summer goals to teach Tess and Jude to read.  I'm not sure what I was thinking... taking my perfectly peaceful and relaxing summer full of no demands and adding teach 2 fidgety kindergartners who have the attention span of crickets to read.  Maybe it was those IEPs that gave me the extra incentive.  Since then I've adjusted my old set of teaching skills, and we set aside a little time every day and work on sounding out, decoding, and sight words.  I am in awe of you home schooling mamas out there!  (Says the gal who taught stinky middle schoolers 32 at a time, and loved it!  ps-I don't mean anything bad when I say stinky either.  I taught in the desert without air conditioning.  We were all stinky much of the year!)  Sometimes it seems like we are progressing at the speed of molasses. But then I think about where we started and am SO happy that I even recorded her first couple weeks trying to read so I can go back see the progress we've made.

Tess and Jude are both repeating kindergarten this year.  Last year we made little to no attempt to enhance their education knowing even before they started they'd repeat the grade.  We didn't prefer they start kindergarten at all, but in order for them to keep their special ed services, they had to start.

Notice the stink eye is still ever present.  Seriously this girl has us in stitches every day!

She has read this book 1 time before.  About 3 minutes into reading here and she's as wiggly as all get out.  And that's her par.  In my experience raising 7 children, she is comparatively always "on the go" and pretty distractable.  She's really happy that we're into bigger story books and if I can keep her going, she enjoys the story, so you'll notice that I also read  the bigger words that I know are out her range.   Tess is also amazingly good at using contextual clues to guess as words.  I think that's a part of her do-everything-as-fast-as-possible mind set.  Unlike her brother who doesn't like to risk being wrong and plods along sounding out nearly every word.  If I could combine their skills I'd have an amazingly fluent reader.   Tess fights me tooth and nail about using her finger to track.  As you can see, I gave up this time and track for her 'cause seriously that girl would get lost on a one word page.

You'll see us talk about the hurt thumb sound (1:00-ish) "ow" or "ou" (in the word "out" in this case) and I love how she bangs her thumb without even hesitating.  We're also working on the first job of silent final e to go back and let a vowel say it's name (1:45-ish)  Then of course there's her exasperation and stink eye (3:15) because I won't tell her the word and ask her to sound it out.  Luv that girl's spunk!

Jude is doing well too, but in a different way.  He has trouble blending but is a thorough reader and his attention span is much longer.  
Anywho, just wanted to update you on the reading progress.  6 years old, and 7 weeks into kindergarten and this is where we are.  

12 comments:

  1. Great job Mama! Holy smokes! I know first graders right now who can't do as well! Wow, is she a hard worker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle--2nd year of K doesn't help give her a bit of a leg up! I am very proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm can't wait to watch the video when I get home. (I can't access it here at work). I did want to say however, that I love the "hurt thumb" method. Will definitely try that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snekcip,

      Bare with me here and I HOPE I can write this down without you hearing me say it.

      OW makes 2 sounds: "ow' and "oh" (long o sound)

      And OU makes 4 sounds: "ow," "oh," "oo," and "uh" like ou sound in double.

      So... I dummy it down for my kindergartners and just concentrate on the first sound "ow" for now (we'll introduce the other sounds later as they progress) So the gimmick to remember these 4 sounds in this order is that they 4 sounds are the sounds that one would make if their thumb got hit really hard. 1- you'd say "OW!!!!" Then you'd look at your thumb and say (2) "OHHHHH" but then you might look at your thumb grossed out a bit and say (3) "Ooooo" and lastly (4) "uh" resorting to the fact that there's nothing you can do about it now.
      Ow, oh, oo, uh. The 4 sounds when you hurt your thumb!
      The teacher in me never dies.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I've know many 4th graders and beyond that can't read as well as Tess! I'm an elementary school teacher and the progress she's made is really, really great! Just as a curiosity, how is her comprehension? I don't really know how reading is taught in the US but here in the UK, teaching children to read is far slower as we try and teach comprehension and the actual reading part side by side (in my opinion maybe not the best way to do it, but that's the way it is)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie--so far I'm only concentrating on decoding and oral reading with Tess and Jude. I only taught middle school grades 4-6 and only have very limited experience with my own children being beginning readers. So teaching comprehension on MY end is probably very limited. But we do concentrate on reading LOTS, discussing what we read, asking questions and relating what we read with our own experiences, all as we read. (Although this video isn't a very good example of this.) I'm sure their classroom teacher is doing more but I just don't know much about teaching kindergartners. I'm sure we (US education system and AZ especially) should be taking note of how other places are doing it. I LOVE the idea of emphasizing comprehension more in the foundation years. But not sure how much it's done in the US.

      Delete
  5. She has made great progress! Luv her bead necklace-ring-bracelet too! I used to do the same thing with necklaces as a kid but had forgotten until I saw this. It's funny how some things kids do are the same the world over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What necklace-ring-bracelet? OH, you mean that green thing? That's a weapon that Firedog uses that shoots lasers at bad guys!!!! Not merely jewelry at all!
      LONG LIVE FIREDOG!

      Delete
    2. Oops, my bad! Sorry Firedog! You're lucky you have her to protect everyone from baddies!

      Delete
  6. Hang in there! Roman is 6 and while he is a pretty good reader, getting him to read is a feat unto itself. He is so wiggly and is tired when he comes home from school. Reading is the last think on his agenda. I have to bribe him with things he likes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Tess!! Great job sounding out!!!! Pickles can be a hard word, but you read it like a champ. Soon you will be reading mama bed time stories!
    ~Cynthia in Denver

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! She's doing great! (And you're so patient with her!) I was going to ask about the necklace/bracelet, too, as I saw it and thought something like that might help Doug to keep his fingers out of his mouth, but if it shoots lasers, then that might not be such a good idea. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011