slide show

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

PowWow in the Pines {the men}


I figured I share my photos in the same order that the dancers are presented in the Grand Entry.  So we're starting off with the men.

The video isn't much to look at.  It's just the back end of a slow processional.  I included it so you could hear the drums and the singing.  Now just amplify it 100x.   The drums have a way of beating deep inside of you and resonate in the soul.  So go ahead a play maybe while you scroll through the pics below.


Warm day and shorts were in order under the regalia for many of the participants.
LOVE the way this man is so into his dance and his different color shoes.
Don't tell anyone, but I've kinda had a crush on this man for years.  Maybe it's his hair.  Maybe it's the way he stopped his dance right there in the middle of everything to tend to his son last year.  Or the way he is so absorbed in his dance.  A purely platonic kind of crush mind you.  

I love they way these men are talking so casually.  They could easily be in front of a fire place or at the local coffee shop.  Is that a Marine Corps emblem in the middle of the feathers?  Wonder what they're saying... 
Because I've gone to this same pow-wow for several years, I've gotten to see some of the same participants year after year.  This man is one of them.  Each year his dance is a bit slower and he relies on his cane a bit more.  I'm a sucker for any man with a mustache, and I adore the bright colors of his outfit.  
Do not miss the Boston Red Sox beading!
So which are your favorites this time around?
 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy! I love these shots! I think I like #8 best....something about it makes me just stop and stare! I am just curious....what lens did you shoot these with? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer-There were all taken with a 70-200 2.8.
      That gentleman in #8 is the same man in #3 and #4, just a different day. I was fascinated by him too!
      Thx,
      nancy

      Delete
    2. Thanks...I always feel like I am taking the wrong lens with me, so I was just curious what your pick was because they turned out so fantastic!!

      Delete
    3. It's my newest lens. It's a BIG boy too. So I'm still learning the in's and out's of it. Happy with it so far, but it does have a learning curve!

      Delete
  2. Great post honey. I feel like I was with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were! But then again... the alone time was divine. Sorry 'bout that, but you know, right?
      Missing you,
      me

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful! I feel like I'm looking at an O'Keeffe with all the brilliant, bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love ALL of them...but #2 is my favorite!! Love the little "Dandelion-like" tips on his headdress!! These pictures just draws you in! I studied this pictures for at least 20mins or more!! BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy! Absolutely beautiful pictures. The colours are gorgeous. I am wondering what camera and lens did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia- THANK YOU! These were shot with my Canon 5D Mark II and and 70-200mm 2.8.

      Delete
  6. Nancy - they are all great! I spent 7 years with the Franciscans, and for three of those summers worked out of Santa Fe with our native Americans (Navaho)kids teaching summer school - brings back so many memories!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how bright and elaborate their costumes and make up are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4th one down, of the men, very colorful and love the action in the second one from the bottom. :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011