slide show

Saturday, June 22, 2013

PowWow in the Pines {An introduction of photos}


Welcome to the annual posting of the powwow photos.
Little Cabin in the Woods literally sits 1 house over from the Apache Indian Reservation  It's kinda like we live on an international border.   There are some evenings that I can literally hear the beating of the drums in the distance from my front porch.  The sound of it transports me back to another time and place, one which I have no idea was really even like.   
The way this community honors its veterans is so amazing.  Really, we should be taking notes.  
This is the only photo I have that isn't of the dancers.  It dawned on me that I could shoot only the spectators, the vast majority of which are native American, and be completely inspired.  Maybe next year I'll do that.
The teens and  older boys in the Grand Entry.  
I attend the local powwow every year.  I've been told that this powwow is a small one, still approachable.  This year I went to the powwow 3 times over the course of the weekend, each time completely by myself and stayed for hours.  (Alone time?  What's that?)  It was delicious not only to be by myself, but submerge myself in it and being mesmerized by it all.  A powwow is an assault to the senses.  It assuages every sense; the smell of the dust and the fried food, the sounds of the drums and the jingling of the bells, the bright bold colors. I wanted to wear a t-shirt that announced my rightful yet pitiful claim to my 1/32nd ancestry of Choctaw Indian.   
There are a couple more images are these gorgeous girls... oh wait till you see them!
I was kinda taken with this young man, mostly because he was flirting with the young ladies (also dancers) who were sitting next to me.  Even in the midst of the dance, he'd look their way and do that thing young adults do when they see someone they like; kinda a cross between a smile and a giggle.  Reminded me very much of the young people in my own home.  
Every powwow reveals something different to me.  I’ll share those little revelations as the pictures are posted.  But I always come away with an overwhelming sense of awe.  These people are so amazingly beautiful, not just to look at, (‘cause they are so beautiful to look at!) but also because of the pride that they have for their culture, faith and their country.
Presentation of the Eagle Staff at the Grand Entry, the first thing that enters the arena.  
To be honest, these aren't my favorite images from the powwow.  I'm still polishing my faves.  But I really really like these ones too.
Wait till you see all the footwear!  I can't bring myseld to call them shoes.  They are so much more.  
Most of these images are from The Grand Entry that commences the powwow.  It's a processional of all the participants in their gorgeous regalia as they come into the arena dancing to the drums.  The processional starts with the Eagle Staffs and flags, followed by the honorary members, dignitaries, veterans and royality.  Next proceeds the elders, men, women, (led by the older women) teens, children and lastly the "tiny tots" in that order.  The arena is ultimately filled with all the powwow participants, and they say a prayer and honor give honor the veterans.  At least that's what I've been told they are saying since it's mostly all in Apache.  It's a magical site and incredibly stirring even when you don't know the language.
This was a procession for this honored person, in front of the procession in green.
Does it get more delicious than that?
By the time the weekend was done, I shot over 300 images.  Culling it down was tough, at last look I had only cut it down to 112.  So if you’re not ready a powwow-palooza of photos, you may want to come back sometime next weekend.
More to come.
Lots more.  

Which ones are your favorites so far?

Linking up with Sunday Snapshot!  Check it out to meet some new bloggie friends!




20 comments:

  1. WOW.. the colors... the emotion.. I wish I could be there!!! I'm so jealous, I can't wait to see your favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!!! I love that you share these photos and experiences with us. I have to say, they are all amazing. I really like the one of the young man in the blue plaid shirt. The one right above your comment about how these are not your favorites. I like it because of the mix of old Indian and new (the plaid shirt being the new). The blue sky behind him and the intensity on his face, really just caught my eye. Loved them all, though that one I am drawn to.
    Love much and can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos! I lived in Canada for over 20 years so the culture of First Nations is close to my heart.
    Visiting from the Weekly Top Shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zosia-- I know that it's called something different in other parts of the country/world, First People, Aboriginal, First Nations... I debated how to phrase it here. I know some think American" is too slanted to the USA. But we still use native American where we live, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I do love this culture too no matter what it's called. Thx for visiting!
      nancy

      Delete
  4. They are all magnificent photos ~ Wow! My favorite is of the two young girls ~ one of them is really smiling and looks so happy dancing ~ Happy Week to you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those costumes are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photographs. Hard to choose a favorite, but the second picture of the older man tugs at my heart. Just something about his posture and the way you captured him that speaks to me. The sixth photo is amazing. It appears this dancer is about to take flight. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos, vibrant colors. Beautiful! It's hard to choose, but I think my favorite is the one of the young boy in full garb, looking like he's being blown by the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this. I have never been to a PowWow--but now I think I will watch for one to attend. Your photos are amazing---colorful, captured action and a great representation of the event. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful shots, Nancy. Their tribal pride is captured beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE these!!! I'm even more excited for that photography class now!! Beautiful shots! As an Oklahoma girl...I love seeing pictures of Native Americans! We grew up going to reservations and cultural events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Choctaw roots are from OK! Not that I've ever been there. I'd like to go to a powwow there some day.

      Delete
  11. My favorites are the 6th and the 14th as they both captured movement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photos. I was so jealous when you mentioned visiting there by yourself. I would be in heaven -- soaking it all in and taking photos. Hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the being alone part was divine! Sweet Liv helped out with that and is a blessing.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful photos! I love the ones with the children. Their joy is breathtaking. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! These photos are amazing! I have never been to a pow-wow, but I am going to have to see if I can find one the next time we visit my in-laws in AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are beautiful! Love the one of the lady up in the air from behind and the little boy in his whole indian garb. Adorable and the colors are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Nancy I love! LOVE! LOVE THESE!! My daughter-in-law is Tongan and at my son's wedding I was literally floored!! The traditions are spellbounding!! The presented us (the grooms family) with beautiful tapa cloths! I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would ever witness anything so beautiful!! I enjoyed it from the women on down to the young ladies doing a traditional dance. The grooms family is treated w/Royalty!! My husband,kids (including my son that was getting married)was stunned!! We STILL talk about 4yrs later! It was something to behold!!

    MY PICK is #14 TINY TOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nancy,
    I am visiting from Madge's The View From Right Here-
    These photos are amazing! I felt as though I was with you!
    Colors, dancing, expressions - delightful!
    New Follower too:)
    Happy Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011