slide show

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Manual class for DSLR beginners!



Our little ones stay little for a very short period of time, and before we know it they are grown and gone.  If you are letting your camera make all the decisions for you in auto mode, then you are missing out on capturing the fleeting ordinary miracles that are all around you!  So if you have a fancy DSLR that sits on the auto mode, and you want to learn how to do more with it, then this is the class for you!

***Manual 'n More course will be June 28 - August 11, 2013***  
Registration is now open.  Please click below to enroll. 
Class size will be limited and is first come first serve.

It's no secret that I love photography!  And I also adore sharing what I know about photography! Manual 'n More is a 6-week online course for beginning photographers who want to move beyond auto mode and take back the control over their camera, learning to shoot in Manual mode so they can capture the memories around them.  I want to give you both the information you need to capture images like the ones you envision and a place to practice what you are learning where you can ask questions, get feedback, and learn from what others are doing and asking too!  I'll keep it simple, use easy-to-understand language, and give step-by-step instructions that will help you learn how to really use your DSLR more than if it were an fancy point-n-shoot camera.

Here's a look at what the course Manual 'n More will cover:
---Exposure-what it is and why it's critical to understand
---Apertures and depth of field
---Shutter speeds and ISO and how they affect your photos
---How to read your camera's light meter
---Putting all the pieces together and choosing the camera settings to get the photo you envision

---Different metering and focus modes--what they do and how know which one to use
---Techniques for getting sharp and crisp focus


This beginning course is 6 weeks long and is chock-full of information, offering 2-3 lessons for the first 4 weeks.  We will learn about the basics and demystify terms like exposure triangle, aperture and ISO.  Then we will put all the pieces together and empower you to shoot in manual mode.  But wait!  There's more!  While you're practicing shooting in manual mode, we'll move on to metering, and learning some great techniques for getting sharp focus.  The final 2 weeks of the class will be devoted to practicing, letting it all sink in, and asking more questions I'll be available the whole time to answer questions and provide personalized feedback and guidance to help you through the process!  Via a private forum just for our class, you can share your photos and questions {or not} any time of day.  You'll also be able to see and learn from what the other students in the class are doing and asking.  Yes, there will be homework, but unlike that chemistry class you took in high school all homework is totally optional and due whenever and if-ever you you want!  There is no need to be online at any particular time because you choose when to check in and work at your own pace.  You can participate during nap time, in the middle of the night, only on the weekends, or whenever you find an opportunity.  I'll likely be there in horribly-embarrassing holey yoga pants, so I invite you to pull up your laptop and make yourself comfortable any time of day or night too!  

What you'll need:  
---A DSLR camera (Nikon, Canon or whatever, but it needs to be a DSLR)
---Access to the Internet and a Facebook account
---Enthusiasm and time to learn and practice

Registration cost is $159.  Registration is currently open and class size will be limited.


Sound like something you'd like to participate in?  


Hope to see you there... holey yoga pants and all!

17 comments:

  1. I bit if off: hit the button. Ready to chew! I've been using my DSLR for too long without knowing how. I've gotten lucky with a few shots but am ready to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer- I'm SO excited to have you! Looking forward to it!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is that beautiful brunette-Sunny-clone in the photograph? Seriously? You've lost not only pounds but lots of years too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle--you have no idea how hard it was to put my own image on that pic! Was convinced by some very persuasive folks! Thank you SO much!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is truly my honor, Renee! Looking forward to it!
      nancy

      Delete
  5. You shoot with a Canon, what if I have a Nikon? I'd like to do this, but, but, but...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikon is great! The lessons have directions and examples for both Canon and Nikon.
      Would love to have you!
      nancy

      Delete
    2. Come on, Sennie, give it a try. I have a Nikon too, but I'm banking on Nancy extending the grace! :)

      Delete
    3. Jennifer and Sennie-- I really like Nikon! Don't let anyone tell you that one make is better than the other. They are both wonderful! I just happened to start on a Canon way back in 1987, (pre-invention of the wheel) and it has always just felt a little more intuitive to me because of our long history. It probably a Freud thing.
      Nikon users are very very welcome to join us!
      nancy

      Delete
  6. I have signed up and am looking forward to it! I am not sure if you need the phone number that we needed to enter for PayPal, but I wanted to warn you that it will not work anymore. We live outside the US and it would not let me give a non-US number. :-)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah-I don't need your phone number, but I will gladly call you if you like! With all these kiddos around, I'm always craving good ol' adult conversation and comiserating about about the big stuff... stains, the PTO, weather... you know the important stuff... of yeah, and photography stuff too!
      Looking forward to learning with you, Sarah!
      nancy

      Delete
  7. I have so wanted to sign up for this the last couple classes but I'm not sure I can carve out the time to dedicate myself, uninterrupted! I have a Nikon with 2 lenses...is there any other equipment I would need? When is your cut off for signing up?

    PS...I talked to you months ago about taking our family pics in AZ during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie--Will you email me? I think I can give you some info that will help you make the decision and see if t's for you. You don't need anything but a DSLR, a Facebook account, and some time to learn and practice. Would LUV to have you!
      nancy

      Delete
    2. Ooops... forgot to answer your other question! When the class fills up the sign up ends. Not sure when that will happen. And I need to keep the class kinda small so that I can give my attention to everyone. Sorry that answer really doesn't help much.

      Delete
  8. I have so wanted to sign up for this the last couple classes but I'm not sure I can carve out the time to dedicate myself, uninterrupted! I have a Nikon with 2 lenses...is there any other equipment I would need? When is your cut off for signing up?

    PS...I talked to you months ago about taking our family pics in AZ during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie--I don't have any way to contact you. Hoping you see this.
      If you could drop me an email at nancyvnjourney@hotmail.com I can answer your questions. You only need a DSLR and a Facebook account! I'd LOVE to learn with you!
      nancy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011