slide show

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

How to {children's crowns}

It seemed like the girls were getting all the accessories. Bows, tiaras, flowers for their hair.  Jude never really said anything, but I wanted him to feel special too.   I had seen some crowns like these, but couldn't really justify the money for them.  So I gathered up some supplies at the craft store, and Livy and I headed to my in-law's home with our "helpers."  My mother-in-law, Granna, is a wonder with the sewing machine, and together I figured we could figure something out!  
Supplies
3 mm foam sheet, 30cm x 45cm (will make 2 crowns)
Spray adhesive
Fabric at least 1 foot x 2 feet (1 piece this size for each crown)
Craft stars
Elastic

1)  Cut the foam sheet in half length wise.  
2)  Lay a piece of foam sheet (now approx 45cm x 15cm) in a piece of fabric along center fold. 
3)  Sprayed the foam with fabric adhesive (both sides) so that it wouldn't move around on the fabric, but I think you could also get away with using white glue or pins to keep it in place and save the expense of the spray adhesive.  We just happened to have some already from a previous project.  
4)  Decide on pattern for top of crown and draw it on with a pencil.  Cut out the pattern.
5)  Lay the cut crown on top of the next uncut crown and trace the same pattern and cut.
 6)  Be sure to try them on often to see how cute they are going to be!
7)  Top stitch around the edges of the crown through all layers.  (We had no problem with our sewing machine sewing through the foam and fabric.)
8)  Apply stars to the crown tip with a hot glue gun.
9)  Determine the final size around of the crown and cut a piece of elastic the size needed to fit around the child's head.  Sew the elastic to each side of the crown making sure it has a little stretch to fit on the child's head.  
We ended up making 4 of these.  They were instant hits and the kiddos have been wearing them daily!  We're definitely going to make more of them this summer.  I think they'd be super cute with rick-rack trim or flowers and ribbon for the girls.  

If anyone makes them, I'd love to see how they turn out!

14 comments:

  1. Those turned out super cute! And so easy! I may have to make some for the dress up clothes in my classroom. I'm always on the look out for boy friendly dress up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to do PIRATE HATS for my GRANDSONS!!! They LOVE playing PIRATES!!! The paperones just doesn't suffice!! Thanks Nancy!! So gonna try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun project...they turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photographs are be-autiful! And now my children need crowns. Came here via Dysfunction Junction because I was intrigued by the name of your site... and glad I did!

    Lauren
    http://safariroo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren for dropping by! Let me know how the crowns turn out!
      anncy

      Delete
  5. Your photographs are be-autiful! And now my children need crowns. I came here via Dysfunction Junction because I was intrigued by the name of your site... and glad I did! Good to meet you and your sweet [large] family!

    Lauren
    http://safariroo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crowns turned out great! And your photos are awesome :) I'm a new follower from the Linkin with My Ladies Blog Hop! Hope you have a great week!

    Stephanie @ She Turned Her Dreams Into Plans

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun!! I wonder how they would turn out if you used ribbon instead of elastic? Ribbon that you just sew into the sides and then tied it around the head? I ALWAYS mess up elastic and it's never quite the right tightness. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be a GREAT idea, especially if it were for a girl and had some long tails to hand down!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Geee, thanks! But my teens might beg to differ. Come to think of it, they all will on occasion!
      ps- your check is in the mail.

      Delete
  9. THose crowns are adorable, your pictures are amazing as always........and I want to move into your inlaw's house! Love those kitchen chairs....and well the cabinets with the bin pulls...and distressed paint..Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's a lovely home! I mean GORGEOUS!!! The black cabinetry is in the butler's pantry/office/sewing room! Ya, I'm considering moving in!
      nancy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011