slide show

Monday, May 27, 2013

How do I say thank you?

We have a soldier in our mix these days.  Very occasionally literally, but mostly via emails, texts, Skype, and second-hand anecdotes. 
There hasn't been a soldier in our family since WWII.  It's all very new to me, and an intervention might be necessary.
And I'm at a loss.
It puts a new spin on this Memorial Day.  One where I feel I should and need to say thank you to a real live person who has and will give so very much.  Technically Memorial Day is for those that have passed.  But I want to say thank you now.  I want to say thank you in the present to those that have served both in the past, future and the right here and right now.

Nothing is as simple as it appears on the outside, there are many more factors at play.
But I want to tell this soldier thank you.  From the bottom of my heart for what you do not only for our country but for me personally.  Thank you for your bravery and your fear somewhere deep inside that keeps it all real.  Thank you to the families, and wives, and mamas and their children that let them go.  I have no idea how you do that. And preemptively I'll say thank you for coming home.  Thank you for having the courage that a lot of us don't.

I will continue to pray for you, asking for blessings for you and yours and His hand keeping you safe.

I know it's hard for some of us to say thank you.  Maybe it's new or we're not sure how. For my readers, I want to encourage you to say thank you here.  Please. To the men and women that put it all on the line so that we don't have to.  It's that important.

And to our aforementioned soldier, (You're going to have to come up with a blog nickname!) go ahead and pass around these words to your servicemen friends.  It's not much, but it's for all of you.

And yes, I know you're not technically a "soldier."  See, I told you I'd use my literary license!

4 comments:

  1. My brother was a ranger and was shot in Iraq. It made it all very real to my family and I. He made it home safe but he has wounds both inside and out and those are for our country and freedom. I am so incredibly thankful for all the men that have given their lives and time and made so many sacrifices for us that we will never fully understand. Living in a communist country I know all too well what a lack of freedom looks like and it's not pretty. Grateful that we are free Americans because of these men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving my THANKS for the many Men & Women who "put it on the line" for us on a daily basis. You are appreciated and admired to the utmost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to all the men and women who have and con't to fight for our freedom! We are truly blessed to live in a county that is free and it is because of all of you! May God watch over and protect you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say thank you to our service men and women when I see them at a fast food or other restaurant by buying them a meal. I realize not everyone can afford to do that, but paying for a soldier's meal at Subway is a way for me to let them know that I support them and appreciate their service.
    Bob D.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011