slide show

Saturday, April 20, 2013

red and yellow

The wild flowers are everywhere right now.  Bursts of yellow all over the desert and next to the road where hardly anyone notices.  This yellow extravaganza is in an empty lot next to a very busy 7 lane street.  
I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring a splash of red in the midst of the yellow. 
There have been moments recently were almost all of us can't believe she's been with us over a year now.  It seems like it was yesterday we were in the hotel room, meeting her tiny and very scared sweetness.  And now...
now she's hardly a baby any more.  
Mimi is growing and coming into her own.
She's such a girly girl. Very feminine.  It has been a long while since I've had one of those in the house.  
And then she's amazingly obstinate, demanding, and head strong.  She is one of the best tantrum throwers of the 7 that we've had.  So the girl definitely knows how to get her voice heard.  It's an interesting combo of being sweet and soft spoken all together with a fiery personality when need be.  I wonder how much of that is her "Chinese-ness."  I'm not even sure it's PC to wonder that out loud, but I do.  My grandmother, the first Mimi, would have liked that about her.  Her independence combined with femininity.   
And these images make me swoon.  I want to always remember her at 3 years old.  
In red.  
Amidst the desert's yellow.  
I don't want to forget this, God.  
Time passes surely, but please let me remember the way she is right here.  Right now.  
How her hair curls the day after she has pig tails.  How one eye opens a little more than the other.  The way her hand feels wrapped around my finger.  The warmth of her unprompted embrace just to show me how happy she is.  The birthmark on her leg.  The tiny little giggles she musters rather than a boisterous laugh.  This right here.
This right now...
...always.

Linking up with Stefanie at Sunday Snapshot

29 comments:

  1. I love the angles that you photographic your children at. Odd question...are you on the ground a lot? I've tried to mimic some of your pictures and find it hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz--I'm on the ground A LOT! It's kinda a family joke. However not in this shoot since there were cholla cactus all over and they are sticky.
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! So happy she has your family. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to ask about the ground too! I love you blog, and I wanted to say thank you SO much for making more sense with your photography 101 than any other book I have ever read. At last it makes sense! I am hoping to take your course if that's okay :) Sara-Jayne, Hampshire, England :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara-Jayne--Drop me a message about the course. (nancyvnjourney@hotnmail.com) I'm not sure which course you are referring to. But I'd LOVE to have you!
      nancy

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nancy, I will! You are a genius! For the first time EVER today I learned about exposure when I was taking photographs outside. I managed to change the shutter speed, ISO AND F-stop! I've never done that before, I was just so thoroughly confused! I'll email you later!

      Delete
    3. YIPPEE! I get excited about passing on what I know but that probably makes me a geek. Oh well!
      And setting all 3 at once? You're ROCKIN it! Can't wait to work with you. It'll be fun!
      nancy

      Delete
  5. lovely photography of nature and your beautiful little girl ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's just perfect! Then again, all of your children are : ) .

    ReplyDelete
  7. These shots are stunning! How amazing that you have this space next to the road to take advantage of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are simply amazing. You always bring tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be Mimi "Chinese-ness" as ALL my 3 girls are "amazingly obstinate, demanding, and head strong"....Just like ME! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredibly beautiful...every single one. LOVE the pop of red amongst the yellow. The words you wrote could have been me writing about Grace and Will.

    And as for the "Chinese-ness," YES...both of my littles have this strong willed trait. Something that will serve them quite well in life, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter can throw a tantrum like nobody's business, too. Love, love, love these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These shots are just gorgeous! She glows!
    Our spicy girl is pretty good at fits, too. if she wanted to take over the world she totally could. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SHE . IS. SO. STINKIN. CUTE!!!!! and your photography is to die for:) Saving up my pennies for your class...and waiting till my girls start Kindergarten:) How about a class say.....Sept. 1st??? yes?? one for BEGINNERS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny you mention it, Judy...
      Something is in the works already, and depending on how much time I devote in the next couple months, I may have just what you're looking for!

      Delete
  14. I'm in love... I was already.. but oh my! That cute little one of yours.. that red dress with polka dots.. and yellow flowers... Dang girl, you are rich!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That little girl is such a doll and these photos are gorgeous! I just found your blog through the blog hop and I'm so glad that I did! I can't wait to read more!

    Bisous (kisses) from France,
    Patricia
    The DIY Frenchie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work Nancy - and a "can't miss" model! We adoptive parents - we are rich beyond wealth!!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at the POLKA DOTS!! There is something so GIRLY about POLKA DOTS and MiMi just personifies it to the UTMOST!!! These pictures just BURST w/SPRING LOVELINESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy sigh. these pictures are adorable, lovely, whimsical, peaceful (I can't even hear all that 7-lane traffic noise!!), natural, comfy, and colorful. Looks like you both were enjoying yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are incredible!!!! She is such a beauty. I want to meet her. And you. And the rest of your crew in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My door is always open for you Ashley! I want to meet you too!

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous photos and beautiful sentiments (as usual)...! The Pipsqueak (my Guangxi-born niece, not much older than Mimi) opens one eye a little bit more than the other, is usually soft-spoken, spends most of her time making up happy songs, is known to give sudden random hugs & embraces, is a girlie girl through and through... and can be the most obstinate, headstrong, demanding, I-am-in-charge-here, don't-dare-challenge-me little dictatrix any of us have ever met. Gotta be the "Chinese-ness" at work! <8-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011