slide show

Monday, March 4, 2013

And then it happened

Exactly one year ago, we became hers.  A child that did not have anyone to call her own, became a daughter.
Of course she didn't know it at the time.  

She arrived just after 7pm that night.  Their expected 3-hour ride from the orphanage to the city had gotten delayed in traffic.  The orphanage director and assistant brought our WanWen directly to our hotel room.  One moment she wasn't there.  And the next, they walked through the doorway of our hotel room, and she entered our lives forever.  And I fell in love and in my soul became her mother that very moment.  
Even though she had on a diaper, her clothing, all 5 layers of it, were soaked through with pee from the waist down.   They told us, she was too upset to walk on her own and needed to be carried.  I think they told us this more to assure us that she could walk at all.

I knew she had likely eaten next to nothing during her trip.  We quickly ordered a bowl of congee via room service.  She ate some of it all the while watching us with huge wondering eyes.  And we watched her.
She didn't want any of her soaked clothing removed.  And I didn't blame her.  This clothing was the only thing she had that tied her to her past.  And I would have gladly accommodated her and let her her wear her clothing that night, next day, that week and beyond till she was ready to surrender them.  Except they were soaked through.  After a couple hours, I was able to distract her enough to peel a couple of her layers off. 
I held her that night.  And with a little in her belly, despite the unknown and through the fear, she fell asleep on me.  And we stayed together like that all night.  

She was beyond scared.  And eventually as the days passed, her fear turned to grief.  And then to anger.
  All the while we held her close and often I cried right along with her.
We loved on her.  We cherished her.  I rubbed lotion on her little body.  And tried to figure out what her favorite foods were and fed them to her.  I kept her warm.  The following day, I got the rest of the soiled clothing off her and bathed her.  Eventually we coaxed little smiles and then giggles from her lips.  And over time, months really, she let us in.

And now 365 days have passed from that first day she was carried through the door way of our hotel room. 

And it seems odd in hind site to think about those early days.  It seems odd to think about a time that she was not always a part of our family.   

WanWen, now our Mimi J, has fit in to our family seamlessly. The Lord knew so well, that she would be the perfect match for us.  She is a treasure.  She is amazingly stubborn.  And amazingly feminine all at the same time.  She adores her big brothers and sisters.  And I'm still falling more in love with her every day.  
And I am beyond thrilled to see where the next year will take us.  And the years that will follow after that.  
It is truly an amazingly blessing to be her mama. 

26 comments:

  1. Oh I remember. I cried then and I cried now. This is such an amazing journey and I am grateful that you are sharing it with other moms, adoptive or not. God bless little Mimi and always keep her and her family safe.

    Beautiful photos, btw. She is so soooo beautiful. ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember. I cried then and I cried now. This is such an amazing journey and I am grateful that you are sharing it with other moms, adoptive or not. God bless little Mimi and always keep her and her family safe.

    Beautiful photos, btw. She is so soooo beautiful. ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful treasure! Happy one year with your family Mimi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been a year. So happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you Mimi J.... And your loving mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful daughter, a beautiful story, and a beautiful post. I don't know if you know, but I too have adopted children (and 2 biological children as well.) We will reach our 2 year adoption anniversary in April! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you, Tracey!!!! It's a special celebration!
      nancy

      Delete
  7. You guys are amazing and she is beyond precious!!! You're right, YOU are so blessed to be her Momma and also, she's so blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy One Year Mimi day!
    I can't believe it either :)
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that Mimi is ADORABLE!!!! She exudes JOY!!! Happy ONE year SWEET MIMI!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazingly beautiful post.
    Cheers to Mim and you for One Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a blessing to share the journey with you. I remember that day clearly and M's raw, heartbreaking emotion in the days that followed. How has it already been a year?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet thing... now you've gone and made me cry. It was our blessing to have you there. So many specific occasions I can think of that I was SOOOOOO thankful to have you there. The plane ride alone for me. A hard-boiled egg incident. A shoulder to cry on. So many more in those days.
      nancy

      Delete
  12. So so sweet! Congratulations! One year down an eternity to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Gotcha Day. I love the picture with her and her previous self. What a difference a year makes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful in all ways! This last year went by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! This post is drenched in so much love, I'm just beside myself.
    I'm sure people tell you all the time that you inspire them. But can I say it, too? Because you do. You inspire me, artistically, as a mother, as a vehicle of love, as a human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SOOOO much. I'm just a regular ol' me. Nothing special. I think that is just one of the most amazing compliments I've ever been given. Really. Thank you.

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful mei mei she makes - welcome home little sweetie - welcome home!

    hugs - and great joy - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I saw your post as your blog was sent to me...I was adopted when I was 7 years old and my little brother 5 from Seoul, Korea...and this post brought tears to my eyes. We are blessed with a 3 year old and 1 year old twins and I told my husband just recently that "I'm not done" and with having some medical issues with the delivery of the twins, we cannot have any more children on our own but we are looking more into adopting...and this post made me cry, smile and realize this may happen sooner than later...so thank you!!! And thank you for adopting, as a child of adoption, I literally thank God and my parents for giving me this wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm not stepping out too much here, but I'm sure you'r parents would agree that by far they are the lucky ones to have you. I don't know how God does it, but he does unite just the right families, in so many ways. We are so lucky to have each of our children. They bring out the best in us and make us better. Without each of them, I would be different and not nearly as lucky and blessed. And that truly makes ME the lucky one. Not sure if you knew, but Papa is an adult adoptee too, and that is nice to have both perspectives around here. I really hope you explore your dreams, step out a little in faith, and see where the path takes you!

      Delete
  19. Hi, I was adopted when I was 7 and my little brother was 5 from Seoul, Korea and seeing your story and the kids that you have adopted makes me happier than anyone would realize. My husband and I are blessed with our 3 year old and 1 year old twins and due to medical issues, I am not allowed to have any more children...and I recently told my husband that I had more love to give as a mother and that we were not done...so we are also looking into adoption ourselves...but just wanted to say that I REALLY appreciate seeing this and this brought tears to my eyes. So thank you for giving these beautiful children a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mimi is such a dolly! Happy anniversary of having your precious little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011