slide show

Friday, January 4, 2013

Top 10 photo of 2012

Sunny graduated from high school this year and officially became our college girl.  Her confidence has always paved the way for some gorgeous images, and this year was no exception.  I chose this one because it's quite representative of her selfies that she seems to be able to capture on a whim.  
Closeup.  Bold in her expression.  Stunning.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
This shot of the orange slice was just an experiment.  And I love the sweet taste of success!  It was really quite easy and I found the tutorial here.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
A visit to the Great Wall of China is amazing enough.  Top it off with a magical covering of snow and a kiss from the best man in the world and I have a moment I will never forget.  I love the way the the wall disappears in the background in the clouds.  I love the imperfection of my pants hung up on my boot.  I love where we are at that very moment.  I love this man.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
There were several good shots of Livy this year.  Luv luv luv so many!  But I chose this one because it represents our time in China.  Here, in the Forbidden City, I just love the expression on her face!  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
Well, this isn't my photo.  It's my father's.  But it's still one of my favorites.  It is from our China trip, specifically our visit to the Tengwang Pavillion in Nanchang, Jiangxi.  The lines and the colors and amazing to me.  The city in the haze and my Patch and Livy so little in the distance are so representative of China in general. I'm so grateful my father captured this one!
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
Not the best photo technically.  Far from it.  But this is the most valuable photo in the bunch.  Mimi and her foster mama lovin' on her saying one last goodbye... a forever goodbye.  yet she still smiles.  To have it for my girl as she grows, to show her this love, this woman who will be forever called her China mama, this photo is priceless.  I love this woman that I just barely met and don't even know. 
The hand reaching for Mimi on the left is our guide.  It was time to go.  This was the end.  At first I edited out the hand.  Now it seem appropriate to leave it there.  That hand tells a big part of the story.  
The whole story of that day is here.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
If 2012 had a mascot, it would have been Fire Dog.  If you've been reading OM&C9 you know the Fire Dog is a reoccurring character around here.  Not only on the blog for that matter.  In our home, Fire Dog eats breakfast with us, saves us from evil forces on a regular basis, and flies around the house in a turquoise cape.  We love Fire Dog.  
Tess was hard to get photos of this year.  Usually because of a funny forced smile.  Fire Dog on the other hand was easy to capture!
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
This year, I actually had some photos published in a local calendar.  And even thought they are very tiny sized-photos, I'm still more than honored.  This is one of 4 photos that was was published, taken at one of our favorite places on the planet, Paradise Creek, up in the AZ mountains.
Hello little butterfly!   Thank you so much for standing still long enough for me to get a few photos of you!

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
I think this photo will be one of my very favorites forever!  Mimi had only been home 2 months.  Things were trying to settle into a normal.  And my three little were forming new relationship with each other.  They were learning how to be a big brother and sister and a little sister too.  And for the most part, as long as mama stayed close to they didn't scratch each other's eyeballs out, they were loving their time spend with each other.  
This photo is blown up big on canvas in my home.  It makes me smile huge every time I pass it.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
Because of a couple classes I captured a lot of silhouettes in 2012.  This is one of my favorites!  Again, sunny humored me, and she's actually standing on top of the car in this one.  Those are the tops of trees in the background.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
You'd think it would be hard to get good photos of 14-year-old boy.  And it was!  But I think I was lucky this year because I actually got a few of Patch that I love!  This one was right after his birthday.  It has been a year full of growth for Patch this year.   Physically he's coming in to his man body and his voice is starting to change.  Mentally there has been so hurdles and growing up too.  He's my first son and this mama is learning and growing and changing right along with him, learning how to be the best mama I can to him.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
This photo looks more like a painting to me than a photograph.  My sweet gorgeous boy.  The color in high contrast against the black   The bokeh in the background.  His sweet cheeks.   And I think it might go down as one of my favorite photos of all time.  
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
This is a photo I took of my brother-in-law and his family.  Oh my niece an nephew Crack. Me. Up!  I knew a little kiss would likely elicit a response, but they really take the cake!
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
Again, Sunny, my muse.  Maybe I'm capturing so much of her this year, knowing her time here with us is so very short now.  She's aching to move out.  I'm just aching.  I love the blue hair.  And her confidence.   And I have a hard time believing that I had any part of who she has become.  It's time to fly baby girl. 
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
I feel so so lucky that we got another wonderful family shot this year!  One of my favorites!   I grabbed the only neighbor I could find, a 10-year-old, and he snapped about 50 shots of us.  The final result is actually 3 photos combined into one.  But my Photoshop skills have drastically improved this year and enable me to swap around some heads for other photos. I'm so grateful to have a family shot that I love!
And by top 10, I mean 15. 
Ooops.  Me bad.  

I have a couple that are my favorites.  Which one's are yours?  

Top photos for 2010 are here, and 2011 are here.



30 comments:

  1. Your photos are stunning! Truly - you have a real eye. I love the first one and the family photo is so sweet! Looking forward to reading more here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is Sunny gonna be a doctor, lawyer, MBA? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far she has her sights set on being a nurse anesthesiologist.

      Delete
    2. Airway management, intubation, mechanical ventilation,and Anesthesia is an Art. Stressul training but the money is good. McCintosh blade vs Miller, I think Sunny would prefer McCintosh. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm not even sure I know what all those mean. But she likely does. She's a pretty motivated gal when she puts her mind to something. I'm excited to see her fly!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome year.. don't worry about choosing more than ten, if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed, I was to busy admiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are absolutely wonderful! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! I followed your link over from the Bloggy Moms Blog Hop and I'm so glad I did. Amazing photos. Wonderful moments captured forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! You have a PRECIOUS family! LOVE IT! I'm so thankful I've found your site - a blessing, really.... excited and honored to be "following". Hope you can visit soon?! ((Hugs))

    Heather
    stringtownhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures and gorgeous family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!!! Your photos are breath taking! So beautiful! Stopping by from Bloggy Mom's Blog Hop and a new follower on Facebook! :) I hope you will stop by my site if you get a chance!!

    Chrissy
    http://www.thetaylor-house.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! Congrats on a wonderful year and best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My faves are your dad's pic of the temple, and Sunny in the window/door with her leg up. Fabulous...all of them! I got my new camera for Christmas and am having fun learning what it can do. Have even created a bit of nice bokeh in some shots! Must keep practicing, though. Happy new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holler if you have and questions with your new camera. I'd love to help!
      nancy

      Delete
  11. Well, I don't blame you for going past 10; I would've done the same thing.

    I love that moment between you and Papa. But I think my faves are Jude and the silhouette of Sunny. And that's because my perspective on light changed drastically this summer. I totally love those two images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were study buddies when I took that shot of Jude. Class still isn't the same w/out you!

      Delete
  12. I don't think I could pick a favorite. They are all beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You capture so many beautiful pictures and memories. I love your captions and the words you chose especially Sunny. It resonated with me because it feels that not so long ago I moved out and started a life apart from my parents. It's a beautiful time filled with mistakes and learning and loving and creating and the list goes on. My mom is still my bestie. Best of luck to Sunny and you and your family on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all amazing pictures. They are all beautiful and I do love the way you capture your family. But I do have to say my favorite one is the one of Twirling Sunny. It is just such a carefree and beautiful picture. It is the way I want to be. Love much! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that pic of her too! So carefree and lovin' the world... just like her!
      nancy

      Delete
  15. Beautiful photography! I love them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My absolute favorite is the one of Mimi in the orange skirt and brown boots.. She's holding your (and your husband's) hands.. Her smile is just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm confused. You say:
    "Top photos for 2010 are here, and 2011 are here, and I think my head fell off in 2012 because there are none!"
    But isn't THIS post the top photos for 2012, or am I missing a joke or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay that's so funny! That's how distracted I get sometimes! Honestly, I totally missed it! I was so irked at myself for not doing a 2012 too, but obviously I did. I think I need to get a bit more sleep.

      Delete
    2. Well, apparently it was an easy mistake to make, since none of the 20 first commenters picked up on it either ;)

      The pictures were all beautiful, by the way, so no wonder no one else remembered the title of the post by the time they got to the end.

      Delete
  18. Wow! Very nice photos. I envy you for having a very good talent in photography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love this blog! You are so talented. I wish I had the artistic ability to do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all fantastic! Not just technically but artistically as well.
    I am so trying the fruit shot this weekend! Fun!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice family you have there.. my husband and I are also kind of addicted to photography...following you in facebook

    http://www.mitchryan23.com

    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011