slide show

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Street scenes from Nanchang, Jiangxi

By this point in our China adventure, my father had joined us.  One of the many wonderful benefits of taking a grandparent on an adoption trip is more photos for our sweet thing to to see and learn about the country she came from.  My father has been taking photos long before I was a twinkle in his eye.   And he has always had not only an affinity but a gorgeous talent for capturing street photography, images that really give you the sense of what it is like.  He has been practicing his art for 5 decades now on 4 continents.  What a wonderful gift for our Mimi to have!  He was brand new to a point-n-shoot camera on this trip.  He'd never used one prior to this trip.  It's pretty amazing what he was able to do with it!

So some of the following images are mine, and many are his.  
Exploring the country through its street food has always been a favorite of ours.  We've never shied away from it and consider it worth the risk... well at least some of us consider it worth the risk.  The secret is that it's usually pretty safe to eat if the locals are eating it too.

I really have no idea what this is.  Something related to street food?  Dumplings?  Buns?  Anyone?
Boy, Chinese dumplings sound so yummy! 
Ya gotta love the scooters!  I mean who wanted to walk on that sidewalk anyway!
Sadly, we had to eat here once.  We tried to avoid it.  But it had to happen out of necessity.  And by the way, a Big Mac is a Big Mac the world around.  
Another Michelin baby.  The Chinese sure love to keep their babies wrapped up to the point of immobility!
What struck me about this photo of the balloon lady, is that I have a photo of a balloon lady from VietNam 4 years earlier.  Many many (can I say most?) things are very different between China and VietNam.  
But they both have lovely balloon ladies.  
I will proudly say that my father has now taught himself how to prepare a pineapple just like these.  He scrounged all over China for the right tools, and now we get our own spiral cut pineapples on special occasions!
Eggs are surprisingly very popular in China. Eggs.  Lots of eggs everywhere.  Eggs of all sizes and colors.  Some splotchy, some speckley, some solid.  Eggs in the store and on the street.  Mimi came with and still has a love of eggs of any kind, but she especially loves warm hard boiled eggs.  In China I was sure to carry around a couple hard boiled eggs in my bag everywhere we went for a quick snack.  
While we were out and about doing a lot of adoption related paperwork, Papa and Patch were out and about going down back allies and seeking adventure.  
I love the table that barely has room for Patch to eat his noodles, and Patch is not even a full grown man yet.  But even better is the guy behind him getting an eyeful.  Ya, that happened a lot in China. 
Oh and they finally found the local butcher!  Sanitation standards are not the same in China. 
If pressed, I think I could only come up with 4 or 5 different kinds of rice.  
I would be short.  Very very short. 
And then there were the fish sellers.  Right there on the sidewalk with a cleaver and a slice of wood ready to fillet and sell you some very very very fresh fish.  I actually would really love being able to walk home from work and pick up some fresh fish.  I know I'd eat more of it if it were right out side my door... literally. 
See!  More eggs!
I loved these apples with little saying and pictures on them!
We loved sampling all the unusual-to-us fruits in China.  
These are dragon fruits being sold in the grocery store just down the street from our hotel.  
The fruit is white with little black dots (seeds) and tastes kinda like a melon.  
So if you're nostalgic and remembering your trip to China, getting ready to travel and wondering what it will be like, or have always wanted to go, here's what I think is a pretty accurate representation on the streets of Nanchang, Jiangxi, China on a couple wet days in March.

12 comments:

  1. So brave sadly I have such a week stomach that I could never eat the street food. I get food poisoning in Europe every time we go. We had a balloon guy like that in Italy. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always carry cipro and occasionally use it. There have been occasions when it didn't work. But I know what you mean, some stomachs just aren't cut out for it. I'm lucky that mine is pretty tough.

      Delete
    2. food poisoning in europe? that is shoking to me. :)

      Delete
  2. Between you and your Dad I don't know who was shooting best - you really captured "china" - love that country!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it to my dad! Especially seeing as how I had a toddler strapped to me the whole time and was shooting around her. I love love his pic of the lady in grey selling the fish on the street! Such a wonderful image. His other camera that he carried was a 2 1/4 med format. Haven't seen those images yet!

      Delete
  3. dragon fruit is the best! we get it at our farmer's market out here in california (the desert). great for making ice cream and super high in antioxidants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian, how do you "prepare" it? Like, do you peel it? or cut off the skin? I see it all the time at the Asian market, but never know how to fix it.
      nancy

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, as always! I have many similar ones from my trip to china. What about pig noses? :)
    I would loooove to hear how to cut pineapple that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! New follower here to our beautiful blog! Found you on the side bar of A Lazy Crazy Life! If you get a chance I would love a visit from you over at Moms Surviving Kids!
    hugs,
    Megan@ www.momssurvivingkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to Nanchang (only Shanghai) but I love seeing photos of different cities in China. I'm Chinese and never been to visit my grandparents' birth country - one day soon when my kids are a bit older. My parents were born in other countries as my grandparents left China during the war.

    Beautiful photos - especially the apples and dragon fruit! And yes, Chinese people eat a lot of eggs. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind it besides just for the taste - I will have to ask my parents about that one day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011