slide show

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Family Faves {Banana bread muffins}


Family Faves was born when someone asked me what recipes are my favorites for a busy mama to cook?  Easy ones that actually get eaten!  I think eventually I'll load all the Family Faves and If Martha Made Vietnamese recipes into a book for each of the kiddos.  Then when they have a home of their own, each child will have a book with their favorite recipes when they were growing up and pictures of themselves making and eating them!  At least that's the plan.

This is probably the most frequently made recipe in this here crazy house.  There's nothing really special about it except that it is one of several recipes that keeps this house functioning at 6:35am when 9 people sit down for breakfast each morning.  It's easy to prepare and the kiddos like them.  It is just banana bread made into muffins!  But I'm always looking for ways to expand our breakfast menu.  

I keep bananas on hand at all times and when they go past their prime, which I'm counting on, I make muffins.  If you were to look in my freezer, you'd almost always find 2-3 Ziploc bags of these.  I pull one bag out of the freezer the evening before I want to serve them for breakfast.  Then we slice the muffins in half, put them on a cookie sheet, and place it under the broiler 'till toasted.  The kiddos like them topped with peanut butter or cream cheese, (which ads protein, yea!) and I add some fresh fruit and a glass of milk or a fruit smoothie.  It is a well-rounded breakfast that the kiddos like!  

I almost always double this recipe with 6 bananas, and it makes about 28-30 muffins, which is about 3 breakfasts with a couple leftovers each time for snacks.  
Stinkerbell assumes her favorite position up on the island, and peels the bananas.
And of course she likes to pour anything in.  I DO NOT sift or mix just the wet ingredients and anything like that.  I just put everything in one bowl and mix together, because honestly in the end I can't tell the difference.
I do however have time to take a moment and enjoy her amazing cuteness and count my blessings!

Boo is loving any kind of baking and cooking these days!  And I never turn down an extra set of hands.
Do not over mix the batter or mix on high.  Mix just until it comes together.  It's okay if it still lumpy.  
I try to keep the muffin papers on hand for easy clean up!  If I run short, I use Pam for the remaining cups.  
An ice cream scoop, (a cheapo from the $1 store!) helps the Boo measure out the right amount to put in the papers.   1 scoop is just the right amount for each muffin.  This works great for cupcakes too.  
If you're trying to score points with the kiddos, throw in a handful of chocolate chips.  It's a great combo with the cream cheese!

I timed myself last time I made them, and honestly, once I have everything out, it takes me 8 minutes to get these into the oven.  That I can do!

Banana Bread Muffins

Ingredients
1 c sugar
1 egg
2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 c vegetable oil
3 ripe bananas, mashed  (or whatever, just throw them in, and they'll get plenty mashed up later)
1/2 c chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 t baking soda
handful of chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together all ingredients just until batter comes together.  Do not over mix.  Spoon batter in to muffin papers.  
Bake for 25 min or just until a toothpick or knife poked in the center of muffin comes out clean.  
Next family fave coming is another make-ahead and freeze breakfast.



16 comments:

  1. You sure make them look yummy and easy. Banana bread is a fav around here. I'll have to try your muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course I would have everything EXCEPT bananas right now! Will have to go get bananas today and try these, they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen-They are more "banana-y" if the bananas are a bit brown/over ripe. But I do throw in a couple reg bananas too if I run out of old ones. Let me know how it turns out!
      nancy

      Delete
    2. Had these for breakfast this morning! Oh.my.goodness!! Delicious!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to make them!! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! We love to eat mostly green bananas around here, and when they get ripen noone looks at them. Now I know what I'll do with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like chocolate chips in ours as well. As a matter of fact I have probably spoiled them tot eh point that they think it's the only way to make banana muffins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not big on banana anything - not opposed exactly - I reserve that for coconut! And I'm pleased to report that we use the same 'mixer' even tho ours is white! ;)

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum!! your chefs know what they are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vauuu, Mimi is so cute on the island! Great two little helpers you have there. I am sure the "product" tastes even better because of them :D Melita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi looks so cute! How does a Mom like you handle sibling rivalry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short answer might be... we handle it ALL THE TIME! Every day! It depends on the spirit behind it on how we deal with it.

      Delete
  10. Mimi looks so cute! So how does a Mom like you handle sibling rivalry?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sound/look delicious! Can't wait to try! Just have one question (and it's probably me overlooking something)... It says to add chocolate chips if we want...they're good with the cream cheese...but I don't see cream cheese listed as an ingredient. What did I miss???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi-There is no cream cheese in the recipe. But I mentioned that after I toast them for breakfast, I either spread peanut butter or cream cheese on them (which adds some extra protein which I love!) The choc chips go great with either the peanut butter or cream cheese. I should have made that clearer.
      Let me know how they turn out!
      nancy

      Delete
  12. I'm going to have to try your recipe...looks so good. And that scrunched up grin looks familiar :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011