slide show

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Desert fall

Now is the time of year the we desert dwellers start to live in a counter-reality with the rest of y'all.  In my new photography class, I'm suppose to be capturing everything "fall."   Except it's still 100 degrees here every single day.  Nothing is remotely suggesting Get out your sweaters. or Let's drink some hot cider!
Actually, 100 degrees isn't all that hot.  Fall means we can finally go outdoors again after months of confinement.  So to us, fall means flip flops, shorts, green grass between my toes. . .
Even her pants today were over kill.  We had to plant early in the morn to avoid the heat.  
. . .and planting season.
I'm a reluctant city dweller.  And I love love love the feel the soil and water in my hands.  So container gardening it shall be.
Really?  Could a smile get any sweeter?  She just melts my heart!
Each year I plant a little.  I love the opportunities that the children have to care for the plants and watch, ever so patiently, what happens as the months go by.
Mimi, unknown to us at first, is a bit sensory sensitive.  So this occasion for her to help and get the soil in her hands is a wonderful opportunity to show her that it's ok to have that sticky dirt on her hands.  
Poor baby girl must be the sweetest creature on the planet because the mosquitoes luv her.  Her legs, arms, and whole body are covered with bites, and Arizona is not known for it's mosquito population.  
Water makes it all better.  Then we do it again.
Not sure what she was doing here, but she was so intent on studying this little pepper for quite a while.
This year's "garden" has
lemon grass
Thai basil
sweet basil
mint
(some staples for Veit cuisine, and I'm getting hungry already!)
tomatoes
peperoncini
an artichoke just to see what happens
and a few flowers 'cause the world looks prettier with flowers.
And spending time with my sweet girl for her first fall in the desert is priceless!
She's still rockin' her wrinkly-nose smile!
Goodness  gracious I am so in love with this child!
the long road

32 comments:

  1. oh that smile, just perfection!!!! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first read that as dessert fall, and thought... ooo after the cupcakes, what's next??? :D

    Fall is later than normal here too. It should still be warm, but not like it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Love the pictures, Mimi is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have one more cupcake post on how to "fill" them. I'm SO cupcaked out though. Come on cooler temps!!!

      Delete
  3. Picture #3 belongs on the cover of a gardening magazine. Or any magazine for that matter! And the crinkly nose smile... For goodness sakes, how can you even stand it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I could just eat her up! She is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nancy! I found you through Our Everyday Harvest and soooo glad I did! I'm also a Christian adoptive mom! I'm excited to be your newest follower and to get to know you better! Also, we have a Christian Adoption Link up on my blog that I'd love for you to add your blog to, if you'd like!

    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com/p/christian-adoption-link-up.html

    I pray you find lots of encouragement there!

    Christie
    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her wrinkly nose smile! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that little wrinkled nose too! And I love the whole series!!!!

    And I love your take on fall.

    While Florida fall doesn't look exactly the same as desert fall, it's atypical too. Yep, we're excited to see temps make it into the low 80s....without humidity! We can start riding bikes and playing in the yard without melting or needing to jump into the pool to cool off. No leaves changing colors here either, unless you count green to brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND you have the mouse in your back yard! All we have are cacti and they're not as huggable!
      nancy

      Delete
  8. Just hopping by from the "Blog Hop Til You Drop", I'm your newest follower =-)
    ~Danielle~
    Check me out @ http://unorganizedchaosx3.blogspot.com
    {I always follow back}

    ReplyDelete
  9. That wrinkly nose smile is one of the best! She looks like a superb helper. We have fall here, it pretty much happened over night...at the beginning of the week it was in the 70-80s and now, the forecast for the next week or so is in the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the last shot... what a cute wrinkled little nose

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so hoping to get our littles together by now! When we get home from Boston, and regardless of the holiday happenings, let's make this happen! Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so hoping to have gotten together by now! If life could stand still for just one minute. Lets make it happen when I get Ivy home from Boston? Its going to be crazy Holiday season then but we won't let that stop us! Are you game? Much Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary-I don't have your email address and can't reply directly to this message. SO hoping you see this reply. YES, let's get together soon. Give me a holler when you're ready. Prayers for Boston and sweet Ivy!
      nancy

      Delete
  13. Officially the cutest photos ever! Thanks for linking up and have a great Aloha Friday :)

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore the images & you sure said it all for what life is like here in the South West. Fall is when it finally gets comfortable & by the time real cool weather hits & we are finally getting colors- everyone else has snow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi is a doll and your pictures are beautiful. I wish we could trade a few degrees. Wed. it was 75 here in central MN. Today 45. Northern MN got snow. (I'm not a winter person so I'm living in the wrong state!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a little cutie! Looks like you have a green thumb for gardening.
    First time follower via GFC through the hop.
    Have a great weekend, hope you can pay my blog a visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that last photo is unbelievably cute!! thanks for linking up for the aloha friday hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We lived in southern Arizona for fifteen years before heading to a more traditional four season climate seven years ago. We're visiting right now and this morning I joyfully announced "Summer's over! It's finally down to the low 90's!"

    I was always amazed at how well my artichoke plant grew in Phoenix. It eventually took over a 4ft. x 4ft. area and we wished we had planted 2 more. Hope yours is just as prolific and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pics and that little darling is so adorable! I'm a fellow desert dweller in Arizona :). Thanks for joining in the Aloha Friday hop and I'm excited to follow your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the photos and she is so adorable! Container gardens are quite pretty!



    ReplyDelete
  21. I love her wrinkly little nose smile! So sweet! I would love to see how your artichoke plants turn out. I am debating planting some of my own. Thank you for linking up this week to my Enchanted Thursdays Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such cute pics! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. she is so beautiful as well as you pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love her purple dress against the flowers, too precious! I'm a hopeless gardener, I always have hope but this year there was less! My garden failed this year! :(

    Coming at ya from Dawns Disaster link up!

    www.mydogarchie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011