slide show

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The wind and the rain

I've spent the last two weekends, and probably the next weekend too if my family continues to bless me with this luxury of time, somewhere that I'd rather not be... somewhere nobody wants to be.
With one of my favorite people in the whole wide world.
In a tangle of cords, numbers, beeps, and tubes the likes of which I've never seen or imagined possible.

And I can't share much with y'all.  I know you'll understand.

I drove down to Tucson again last Friday, and will hopefully do so again this Friday.  There was a storm, and I rolled all the windows down.  The wind was strong and blew my hair, and the smell of the wet desert was strong.
And it was beautiful.
Not just a little beautiful either.  It was so incredibly amazingly beautiful.
And it struck me that it was such an ordinary moment that I almost missed it!
I wondered how many other ordinary miracles had I missed in the midst of my hurried life.

There are occurrences in one's life that remind you of how very sacred special life is.  Sometimes it's a whisper.  And other times, it's something that grabs you by the shoulders, shakes you up, and hollers into your soul to remember how precious and gorgeous life is.
This was such a moment.
No matter how hurried it gets, or how much bickering there is, or how many times a teen wants to pick a fight, the sounds of it all are sacred.  Each moment is a treasure.  Each breath a gift.  And I am very blessed to have each hurried moment, every single breath and heart beat in my life.
I will try harder to savor the bickering because I have been given the privilege of being a parent.
I will try harder to treasure the whining because I can hear the beloved voices of my children.
I will smell the rain and feel the wind in my hair.
I will thank God on my knees for each and every moment, not just the peaceful or pretty ones, that I have been blessed with.

I don't want to miss even one more ordinary miracle.
I want to try harder to savor every moment.

13 comments:

  1. The ordinary moments are sometimes the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, isn't that the truth. They are often the most beautiful and the most easily overlooked.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post and a great reminder to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs - I agree, ordinary miracles are important, and worth treasuring.

    We recently had a beautiful thunder storm roll through, something that is not so common here. I was so blessed to be able to go sit outside and watch the miracle roll through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting outside during a thunderstorm is one of my favorite things to do.ever! What a gift to do it!

      Delete
  4. o True. This post reminded me of Anne Voscamps book 1000 Gifts. It speaks of this and is a life changing read. I highly reccomend it.

    http://www.amazon.com/One-Thousand-Gifts-Fully-Right/dp/0310321913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347394727&sr=8-1&keywords=1000+gifts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ordered it. Boy I LOVE eBay's new Paypal oneclick on the phone feature.
      Thank you for the suggestion, Katie! Can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  5. Katie, thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very touching and true post my Dear Friend. Makes me tear up.
    I love you and am praying for you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet M for the prayers. We'll take 'em!

      Delete
  7. Yes, ordinary is just so beautiful. And it's a good thing you didn't let this particular ordinary moment pass you by.

    I'll be praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You said that beautifully. My favorite thing is to sit on my porch and watch thunderstorms roll in. It reminds me of who is in control of all things. Praying for your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your insightful - and cool too!

    Hugs - prayers for all -

    aus and co.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011