slide show

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Family Faves {easy-peasy, super fast and yummy cupcakes in 5 minutes}

Canon 5d Mark II, 24-70mm, post processed in Lightroom 4
ISO 1000, 45mm, f/3.2, 1/200 sec
A depart from my normal kid pics, I've been really drawn to food photography these days.  We've had a slew of birthdays in our family, each with their own requested flavor cupcakes.  And the best part is that cupcakes rarely run off when you ask to take photos of them, and they always smile too.  I do love the way there is a bit of bokeh in the background and the chocolate look so yummy!

These are s'more cupcakes from Boo's birthday. For weeks he had been reminding me that he wanted s'more cupcakes. Again, I wasn't sure what that really was, but I like the making him happy on his special day, so I hopped on Pinterest for some idea. I topped yellow cake cupcakes with chocolate frosting, mashmallow topping, a few marshmallows, and one chunk each of chocolate and graham cracker.    Later Boo said to me, "When I think of you mom, I think of someone who can make normal cupcakes in to amazing superpendous birthday cupcakes!"  Sigh!  I love my boy!  He makes being mama so  superpendous!

We're not really a birthday cake kind of family.  In our home, cakes tend to get stale before they get eaten, so I have little enthusiasm to make them.  Birthdays usually find us eating cupcakes. And I've discovered a trick to making cupcakes totally do-able for my busy schedule.  This is a fast and easy cupcake recipe that makes moist yummy cupcakes.  And to be frank, there's nothing special about it, except that it gives me the time to have fun decorating the cupcakes on the kiddo's birthdays and that is the part that I like to do most and the part that makes each child feel a little more special on his/her birthday!  

I make the cupcakes 1-3 days ahead of time and store them in an air-tight container.  Then I decorate them on the day of their birthday.  
So this is the base recipe. From here, depending on the "flavor" the birthday sweetie asks for, I might add something else in the batter.  Then I have fun with frosting and/or decorating them on their actual birthday.  But the main thing here is that this recipe is super fast and easy and makes good cupcakes!
Ignore the sprinkles and pudding mix.  This was actually for Tess's cupcakes the week prior.
But it gives you the idea of how few ingredients there are.
 
Easy-Peasy, Super Fast and Yummy Cupcakes in 5 minutes

1 box of cake mix any flavor (but I really only use yellow or chocolate)
1 stick of butter, melted
3 eggs
1 c water

Mix in a mixing bowl. 
Fill muffin pan, lined with cupcake paper, 2/3 of the way up.
Bake 350 degrees for 20 min.  (convection 17 minutes)

Some tips to make them even easier and yummier---
I usually use cupcake papers, but if I'm out, which happens frequently, I just spray the muffin pan with oil.
Use an ice cream scoop to fill each muffin hole. One scoop is just the right amount for a cupcake and let's the kids help out more easily. 
Don't over cook cupcakes to keep them moist. Pull them out of the oven as soon as the knife comes out clean to avoid them being dry.


Linking up today with Sunday Snapshot, The Simple Things, Sunday Slice, Sunday Roundup, Heavenly Treats Sunday,


19 comments:

  1. These look do good ! We are the same way , we only do cupcakes or small pies , depending on the birthday. Our cupcakes aren't as pretty as yours though. Thx for the tips , I'll try my hand at this next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small pies like individual sized? What a great idea! Might have to try that next time!

      Delete
  2. These look so good ! Yum !!! Thx for the tips , I will try it next time. We are a cupcake kinda family too. They are so fun .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes are going on my list of things to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I've got a birthday party in 2 weeks. This is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great cupcake ideas on Pinterest, and with the basic recipe down, it's that much easier!
      glad you like them!
      nancy

      Delete
  5. Those look yummy, and that top picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cupcakes! I find myself making them often, and now I have a super easy recipe to try! Thanks for the tips!
    Your newest follower from the mingle!
    Thyme, 14sixty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beatrice is drooling over them from that photo! And the Oreo ones too! I have to shelter her from your blog from now on, because it's daily cupcake begging these past few days. Are you telling me that the Oreo ones were canned frosting too or do you have a great frosting recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. just stopped by from the Blog Hop.
    Visit me @
    http://unorganizedchaosx3.blogspot.com
    http://diaryofabfmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I found you through Mom's Monday Mingle and so glad I did! I'm excited to have found a fellow believer and adoptive mom! :)) I'm your newest follower, too!

    I have a Christian Adoption link up on my blog (http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com/p/christian-adoption-link-up.html) and would love for you to link up if you'd like!

    I look forward to connecting with you!

    Christie
    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cupcakes look delish! Nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spill your secret on making the frosting look so good! We can't stand that stuff in the tub and I make a flour-based icing that is incredible...just not as sweet. However, everytime I "try" to pipe icing onto our cup cakes, it ends up looking like a dog did his business on top. At least that's what Lilly and David say...lol. Not too appetizing! Yours do look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracee-
      I only use the store bought stuff. No time for any other. Although, often I mix it with a block of cream cheese and it cuts the sweetness, and we like the way that tastes so much better.
      But I do have to keep it cold or it can start to get to runny.
      nancy

      Delete
  12. Oh my! These look delicious Nancy! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011