slide show

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My new favorite restaurant...

... is Kinneys.
Seriously.
Little Cabin in the Woods in on an international border... with the Apache Indian reservation.  Maybe it's my ancestral roots, but we love to visit the reservation.

Our family has a bit of an inside joke about restaurants that have a blue tarp.  Let's just say we've frequented many of them... and there's something about a blue tarp/roof that seems to indicate like a beacon to all that there is really good food to be had.  At a moderate price.
Kinneys is no exception.  
There were 3 kids working there, nobody else that I could see, none older than 12-ish.  There was some sibling rivalry when it came to determining the amount of change I was suppose to receive.  Needless to say, we were overcharged by a dollar, but came out with an extra frybread so all's good when working with 12-ish year olds.  
The kiddos staff were sorting beans when we got there.  Anyone else sort beans as a child?  Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?
I know it's hard to go wrong with deep fried dough drizzled with honey.  I mean, aside from the fact that the fry bread directly adheres itself to one's rear end, what's not to love?
As the sign says, there is no salt on the beans, so you'll probably want to add some.
But this fry bread was especially delicious!

And there's lots of  "open" seating, like 3 picnic tables.  A couple tables under the tarps, and one more under the clear blue sky.
If you happen to be traveling through McNary, AZ, population 349, be sure to stop at Kinneys.  
It's just behind the general store.  

12 comments:

  1. This cracks me up!

    What a neat little place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm... Fry Bread. YUMMMM.. and I agree wholeheartedly that places with blue tarps.. well, are usually worth stopping at!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva--It's a warped sense of humor I know. Thanks for getting it.
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess picking through pintos was a right of passage in our house. We grew up eating at places like these all along the Texas-Mexico border...and in Austin too before food trucks became the "rage." I imagine the health departments closed half of them down by now.

    By far, my favorite (non-mexican) joint is a restaurant called Dirty's. They had to actually raise walls to stay in business.

    We always knew we would get the best food and if we didn't, the 48 hours following that food was made better by drinking straight tequilla. I mean...what's better poison for food poisioning than straight up tequilla. With the worm of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracee---A fellow pinto sorter! We grew up similarly! Gotta luv the blue tarp!
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I mean, aside from the fact that the fry bread directly adheres itself to one's rear end" This made me snort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fry....bread.....how can that ever go wrong?? I grew up in Oklahoma and we often gorged ourselves on their wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought everything fried went directly to the thighs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is McNary anywhere near Tuba City? I spent some time in Lumberton NM - not far from TC - and yeah...you could take the blue tarp off on a clear day and dump the beans on it - makes sorting "easier" I think - you only need the tarp as a roof for a couple hours around 3 PM anyway!!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post at NHBO got a shout-out in the Rainbow Kids newsletter. I can see why, it was beautiful and I got choked up a couple of times. I suspect that's because I'm in the middle of this process, waiting for Kayla. I appreciate how well you put so many emotions and just CRAZINESS into words that relate so well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michele--Thank you, Michele! I guess I should post it here as well?
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aus--No it's not close to Tuba City. Tuba City is Navajo, where as McNary is Apache. But as is true for much of the res, it all starts to look a bit similar. I'm sure wonderful blue-tarp food is to be found in Tuba City too!
    nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011