slide show

Monday, April 2, 2012

Co-sleeping {Update}

This is my life in minutia.
I've now had 4 straight nights of blissful slumber!
I feel like a new woman.
Ready to take on and conquer the world!
Which is good timing because I think WWIII happened in my home in my absence.
I figured out it had been almost 6 weeks since I had last had a good night's rest.  Too long in my book.  And 4 nights in a row feels like I have a new lease on life.
Thank y'all so very much for all the suggestions!  I so hope that someone else was able to read through the comments too and get some good ideas to make co-sleeping a success for them too.

My fist thought was going to be to take up the advice about putting baby Mimi in the middle of us, with her head at the bottom or the bed.  I mean after all, if I'm going to get repetitively kicked, I'd rather it be in the shins than the face and chest.  Instead, I was really really tired, and never made it that far.  Instead I collapsed and tried the snuggle-and-spoon-really-close technique for a nap time for both of us, and it worked fairly well... at least in the first 45 min.
So onto plan B or C, I couldn't decided between which of the 2 ideas I'd try next, was to either 1) kick Papa out of bed for a season with a reason.  Or 2) disassemble the bed and put the mattress on the floor with a twin or crib mattress shoved against it.  Really, I think the mattress-on-the-floor suggestions was probably one of the best ideas for us out there for us.  But Papa didn't want to do it mostly because the dismantled bed would be majorly cluttering up the garage.  But it was my favorite idea.

BUT in the end, we went with what was probably the easiest solution, and probably the one y'all already knew about, but I didn't know about because after all I'm a mother of "advanced maternal age."  {ouch}
Surfing on Craig's List we found a co-sleeper.  I didn't want to spend that kind of money for a new one, but on we found it for only $89, and because I live in a land of affluence it also came with the extra organic mattress and organic sheets.  None of it looked like it had ever been used.  I was so hesitant to use it, thinking it's only for infants... not bounding 2-year-olds.  But Papa convinced me that it was way safer than the chairs I had pushed up against the bed currently.  And we could just sell it if it didn't work out.

Mimi fell asleep in our bed that first night, and I transferred her to her own little bed that is connected to ours.  When she woke in the middle of the night, she crawled right back over to me, we spooned, and she drifted back off in a matter of seconds.  On night #2, she crawled back into her own little bed on her own.  And now she kinda just goes back and forth on her own.  When her narcoleptic somersault routine get too much for me, I just move her over to her own bed.  All hail the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper!
Did I mention that I've had 4 straight nights of sleep?!  Oh ya, BABY!

It has been amazing!  I forgot what a good night's rest can do for the following day.
Which was good timing because I needed all my mental strength to deal with my teens this weekend.
Yep, things are back to normal 'round here!

ps-next up... Photoshop vs Lightroom.  What software I like to edit photos.

16 comments:

  1. great news!!!! so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found something that is working for you and allowing you to meet her needs! FANTASTIC! A good night's sleep is the fuel we need to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep is ineed the best medicine for all. Amen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleeping babies are daily miracles!!!! Love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, now you can remember your name. And probably rattle off all the kids birthdays...if you had to. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news! So happy to hear that sleeping has improved so much so quickly. Bloggy mammas are a wealth of knowledge! So happy you found solutions that helped!

    I fully believe that I'm a better mommy when I get a good night's sleep. So happy your sleep has improved so drastically. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you and Mazie are sleeping well. That is wonderful news. I love Mazie's bracelet, so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Russ built a co-sleeper for us years ago and we used it right up through Little Man. I've never been very good at getting sufficient sleep when my little ones are smack up against me all night, but being able to move them back and forth is perfect. I'm so glad you found a solution that is working to allow you some rest and both of you some sweet cuddle time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I'm glad you took the co-sleeper advice. Yay for sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that you are getting some rest - we've always been comfortable with the "out-rigger" method!! ;)

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/677091478/somewhere-between-a-documentary-film/posts/201068?ref=email&show_token=e8f47158d03a7d92&play=1#video
    Hey Nancy! Would you mind sharing this linke? This project only has a week or so left to get funded about what I think is a critical film for all of us in the adoption community. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe Nancy, she's like a sleeping angel. May I please ask you where you got the little silver bracelet?
    And Guess what!? Can you say "LOI" ??? Smiles BIGTIME through the computer screen!

    Much love and hugs-
    Krissie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I just finished reading all the post on Mazie Jade! I cried or should I say sobbed at the pictures. They broke my heart but at the same time I rejoiced! Mazie will now permanently have a family who will love and nuture her forever! I am chinese and my children are Amer-asian. The pictures of Mazie Jade reminded me of my own daughters Jade Mirabella (4) and Justice Mei(18 m)cute little wrinkle up nose and squinty eye smiles. I Thank you for your strength and love you give these children. Thank you for sharing your incredible stories and God Bless you and your Family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I just finished reading all the post on Mazie Jade! I cried or should I say sobbed at the pictures. They broke my heart but at the same time I rejoiced! Mazie will now permanently have a family who will love and nuture her forever! I am chinese and my children are Amer-asian. The pictures of Mazie Jade reminded me of my own daughters Jade Mirabella (4) and Justice Mei(18 m)cute little wrinkle up nose and squinty eye smiles. I Thank you for your strength and love you give these children. Thank you for sharing your incredible stories and God Bless you and your Family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot to check the box to keep me updated so I hope this works.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011