slide show

Sunday, February 5, 2012

What's a mom to do when life gives you lemons?

...make lemon meringue pie of course!
It's momentous really.
If I stop to think about it, I'm shocked by the fact that it happened at all.
Patch, 13, gets to work zesting lemons.
But yesterday, on a lazy afternoon, not only were all 3 of my teenagers hanging around the house, but they all actually wanted to help me with a cooking project!
The citrus trees are hanging heavy with fruit this time of year.  Which means we're picking baskets full of oranges and lemons and getting plenty of grapefruit from the neighbors.  We almost always have a pitcher of lemonade in the fridge and fresh squeezed oj is available to anyone who is willing to do the squeezing.  If you've been to my home in the last few weeks, surely you haven't left without a bag full of oranges.  This week I'll be making marmalade with my sister-in-law.
But yesterday the big kiddos and I all pitched in and tried two new recipes, lemon curd and lemon meringue pie.  Yum!
We also juiced up 2 quarts of lemon juice to freeze and zested several dozen lemons and froze the zest in baggies also for later baking projects.
Many hands make light work, and again, this makes me a very lucky mama!
Livy, 15 reading the recipe to us.
As yummy as the final product turned out, I was totally aware that the best part was being with all three of my teenagers at the same time, all working on a common project.  I'm pretty sure those days are numbered.
It didn't last long.  Long enough for me to snap some pics and remind me of this time when we had three teenagers living under one roof.
I won't say which one disappeared out of the kitchen first, but it was the one with the Y chromosome.

Please do not hold my bangs against me in this pic.  I honestly don't know what happened to them except that Sunny told the stylist that I needed bangs again.  I seriously doubt that meant daggers hanging on my forehead.  It's not good at all.  My 9-year-old took this picture so maybe I'll blame it on him.  The only reason this pic made the cut is that I really want more pics of me and my mom together, so I'm hoping they'll appreciate it someday.  Does the fact that we all have aprons on make up for bad hair?
I ended up finishing the lemon meringue pie myself.
The pie and the lemon curd and the company all were wonderful!

10 comments:

  1. Too funny...we juiced lemons at our house all afternoon yesterday! It's that time of year here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not take us mamas long to figure out it is a good thing when all the bigs are home! Just makes my day when I have everyone together:). I hope this week is your TA week! Fingers crossed, legs crossed, toes crossed:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! Bangs and all! Wish I lived closer...I could really use some bags of citrus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES - the aprons totally take all the attention away from the hair snafoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like pie......
    All we have here are oranges. Took them to the Super Citrus Saturday food bank drive. Im hoping for lemons next year.
    I always wonder if my kids college or young adult friends will ask them if I died in childbirth or something since I am in so few pictures. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you looked like a very pretty and young mom in the picture with the kids.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, love these pics and the time you got to spend together! And yes, those aprons rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just picked up a huge bag of lemons to make lemon curd! It's my first attempt. I'm going through comparing recipes and can't decide! Please share what you did! tracee@zbzoom.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post...bangs and all! You look great Nancy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011