slide show

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas cookies part 1

There are the Christmas cookies that you bake with your kiddos, (and I use that term "bake" loosely because really only the moms bake and the kiddos dump icing and sprinkles all over the finished product and the floor while eating at least half of it) because Christmas just wouldn't be the same without baking cookies with the kids.
And then there are the Christmas cookies that you bake to give away to your orthodontist, and the school bus driver, and your next door neighbor...

This year we had the absolutely brilliant to NOT do both at once.  Two separate baking sessions with 2 separate objectives.  Brilliant I tell you!  Why we hadn't thought of this years ago is beyond me.
This is the baking session that is all about actually turning out cookies.  Lots of cookies.  Done on a school day so most of the children won't interrupt the bakers.
My sister-in-laws and I got together with my mother-in law and started to crank 'em out.

My mother-in-law's kitchen is gorgeous, especially before we junked it up with all our diaper bags, and sippy cups, and baking stuff.  A bakers dream!  And it has 2 ovens and 2 mixers!  Enough said.
The littlest kiddos came with.
Sometimes on our hips.
Or here Tess and Jude are trying to teach their cousin P how to escape.  Stink pots!
We donned our aprons and used so much butter that we shocked even ourselves.  I won't tell you how much butter we actually used.   It's just too embarrassing.
I actually wore an apron that belonged to my husband's great grand mother, Grandma Jennie.  Who was from Sweden, had a thick Swedish accent,  and couldn't really pronounce her own J, so it was more like Grandma Yenny when she said it.
This recipe is hand written by my mother-in-law's mother, Granny Annie.  Snickerdoodles.  Can't pass that up!  I met Granny Annie when I was a teenager.  I liked her instantly as she reminded me of my own Granny.  Tough as nails and loved her children through thick and thin.
My favorite is Mexican wedding cookies.  Also called Russian tea cookies.  They were my grandmother's, Mazie's, favorite too.  Maybe little Miss M will like them too.

Holly cookies were a special request of Sunny.  (Like Rice Krispy treats but with Corn Flakes, green food coloring, and a few red hots)  Nobody's grandmother made holly cookies, although Kellog's Corn Flakes were made available to the public in 1906, so maybe they did make holly cookies.  Maybe they will be made by Sunny's granddaughters someday.
I think we make 6 different kinds of cookies and 2 types of candy and fudge.
And a huge mess.
Thank you, Granna!

Stay tuned for Christmas cookies part 2 - in which the children consume more icing than they actually put on the cookies!


Ni Hao Yall

9 comments:

  1. How fun! I think I need to try to make those corn flake cookie things. They're super pretty and would be fun for the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a better day! Love the kitchen but LOVE that you all were together the most! Blessings and love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've never done Christmas cookies. But this year, I'm going to give it a shot with my friend (hopefully next weekend). It looks like you all had a great time! I would *love* to be able to bake in a kitchen with 2 ovens & mixers! I'm still a newby baker, so have minimal stuff. :)
    ~Amy
    www.babybellylaughs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that kitchen too, love the idea of having a bench built into the back of the island like that!

    And I am going to try out those cornflake cookies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love holly cookies. We made those when I was in third grade. I remember it like it was yesterday.

    Can I move in with your mil? That kitchen is beautiful!

    (BTW, I made the rosemary/bacon pasta the other night. Instant hit!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot about the cornflake cookies, made them once a long time ago. Fun times!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. her whole house is awesome, not just the kitchen! I love that built in table/seat thing...so cool! And I love Tess and Jude escaping...that is my life... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011