slide show

Friday, October 21, 2011

Halloween faves

Being a teacher in a former life and almost 18 years of parenting under my belt, I've had a long time to amass a large collection of children's books.

This year I pulled out several books that were appropriate for Halloween and used them for fun and easy Halloween decorations.  Maybe it's the school teacher in me, but I think they look pretty good on my fireplace mantle.  Tess and Jude are drawn to them every day.  And Boo and sometimes Sunny likes to pick one out and read them to T&J at bedtime sometimes.  Anything that encourages reading is good in my book!

If you're looking for a fun Halloween surprise for your kiddos or an alternative to candy, I'll recommend any of these.  I'm a HUGE fan of Amazon's used books.  I don't mind paying $4 shipping if the book is only a couple dollars to begin with.  And new books just get old really fast!  I've included links if y'all are interested.  Not that Amazon has any idea who I am.

Guess What? by Mem Fox
This is quickly becoming T&J's favorite.  Readers get to try to guess if the lady is a which on each page.  My little ones weren't sure about it at first, and Jude had big ol' saucer eyes as we read through it the first time, to see if she really was a witch.  But the end is great, and now they are starting to ask for it more and more.  They love the part where they get to guess on each page.  And Goodman's illustrations are wonderful and creative!  If I were only getting one book for Halloween, this would be it.  (Or maybe The Spider and the Fly... depending on the age of the kiddos.)

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
Halloween, by Jerry Seinfeld
This is probably the most requested Halloween book in our house.  And I'm sure that's because the whole book is about candy!  Jerry Seinfeld has a whole stand-up routine that this book was developed from.  There's no way that any of my younger children get the references to 70's and 80's childhood, and that's specifically why I love it!  Anyone else had a mom who made you wear a coat over their costume?  Takes me right back to my childhood, and it's so funny!   But I'm not sure my kids actually understand why I'm laughing.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
The Spider and the Fly
The illustrations in this book are A.MAZ.ING!  The content is a bit scary.  So if you have a sensitive little one, pre-read before you read to your kiddo to see if its appropriate.  I won't read this one as bed time story.  Spoiler... the spider EATS the fly!  Of course the spider lures her into his web and binds her up first like spiders do.  This can be understandably upsetting since the fly is really sweet and cute, complete with a parasol!  That in turn makes that boys really like this book for obvious reasons!  This is the original 1829 poem by Mary Howitt's.  I adore the vocabulary, and it a fabulous way to introduce old literature to children.  It's a Caldecott winner and one of my very favorite picture books!

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman
Again, a little creepy and kinda scary!  This one is a bit too long for Tess to sit through.  But Boo really likes this book.  It is so creative and again, the illustrations are really good.   This book really isn't a Halloween story, and neither is the one above about the spider and the fly.  But it's kinda creepy and has a scary element, so I think it's a good addition to our Halloween books.  And yes, there really are wolves in the walls!

Anyone have any suggestions for Thanksgiving books?  I could really use some ideas.  I don't think I have a single child's book for Thanksgiving, and I'm really liking this fireplace mantle decorating idea.  I might just keep it going for a while, rotating the books as the holidays change.  Any suggestions for the next holiday?

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this post!!! Thank you so much for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea for multipurposing decorating and reading!! A mama after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Turkey for Thanksgiving & Cranberry Thanksgiving are great kids books for Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla beat me to it--A Turkey for Thanksgiving is cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011