slide show

Monday, September 26, 2011

Soliciting 100 Wishes - 百家被


Dear Family and Friends,

While we are waiting for the arrival of Mimi, we are working on a project in which we would really really love your participation!  We are creating a 百家被 or "100-Good-Wishes Quilt" to welcome our lil potsticker home!
There is a tradition in China that helps embrace a new child into a family and a community-
To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite 100 people to contribute a single square patch of cloth. The 100 patches are sewn together into a quilt that contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.
I mean can you imagine it?  Wrapping a child, whose beginnings certainly did not have much "welcoming," into a new family and a new home and community, with such love?!  The quilt will be the literal embodiment of f all the love and welcoming that every single child deserves.  That our Mazie deserves!
So ,if you'd like to participate in literally wrapping our potsticker in luck and energy, good wishes and love, we'd like to invite you to contribute to her own 100-Good-Wishes Quilt.

To participate:

You can send an 6"x6" square of fabric, 100% cotton.  The fabric square can be something you purchase new or pieces cut from clothing or other item of significance.  The print may be something that represents you or where your from, just something you fancy!  Fabric squares may be embroidered, adorned with fabric paint, (just the middle please as we'll be cutting the squares down.) or left perfectly plain.  
Please include a "wish."  A wish could be written on a card, stationary, index card, scrap paper, or even a post-it if that's what's handy!  What ever is convenient!  Wishes could be your greeting, a prayer, favorite bible verse, future advice, poem, favorite quote, song lyrics...  If you'd like to explain the significance of the chosen fabric or print, or include a picture of who it is from, please do.  Please email me, nancyvnjourney@hotmail.com, for our address if you don't have it already.


My mom, who has made a quilt for each of her grandchildren, has agreed to put the quilt together.  Lucky me!  And I'll be compiling the "wishes" into a scrapbook.  I will scan each fabric square and match it with your corresponding wish, so that when Mimi is older, she will be able to look through her scrapbook and match each square on her quilt with its message from you.  


I plan on keeping y'all updated with how the quilt project is going, and there is a little box over there on the right sidebar that I'll be updating.  And I'll be posting pics of the squares that come in!  I am really hoping that we can make the goal of 100 squares!  Surely I'll be posting as my mom and I start piecing the quilt together.  And of course I'll show y'all the finished product, with Mazie wrapped up in it!


We hope that you'll choose to participate.  100 is a lot, and I'm hoping that I'm not dreaming too big!  
Maybe, {optimistically she says} just maybe 100 is possible.  It will be something from you that our li'l potsticker will have and cherish forever, knowing that ultimately she was welcomed with abundant well wishes and love.  


I can imagine her being covered by all those good wishes every night!

Our youngest 4 each wrapped in their own quilts.

PS-I'll gladly reciprocate a good-wishes quilt square and/or wish!  Give me a holler if you'd like.

22 comments:

  1. You can count on one from me! And I already know the fabric I'll send... Can you let me know via email where to send it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't you know I just sent a quilt square to another China momma last week :) I'd love to send one for Potsticker. I have fabric that I use for all the kiddo's I send wishes to. I made my daughter (who's own 100 Wishes quilt is still a bunch of quilt squares four years later, lol!) a blanket out of this fabric during our wait for a travel call. It's kind of nice to think that all these little kids are connected together (and so dearly, dearly loved!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea,

    Can't promise I can do this.....
    (You see I'm terrific with intentions, and terrible with following through!)

    Should the fabric be pre washed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No-fabric doesn't need to be prewashed. I'll wash them all at once before we start sewing.
    And PLEASE feel free to send a wish only if it's easier for you!
    Thank you!!!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude.

    I'm so in.

    Let's swap addies. I think I'm up to like 20 wishes. After much, much begging.

    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I would so love to send a square and some good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so want to do this for your new little one. I am a little nervous about my followthrough, but saying I'll do it is the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do not worry! You will make 100 easily! Ill be bringing mine over for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on getting a piece or two out to you! Hopefully this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have loved this idea from afar, and wish I learned about it while we were adopting. I was too wrapped up in life at the time. It is a beautiful idea. Love that picture of the youngest 4 !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm out of town right now but I'd love to send Mazie a wish and a square! I guess you can send your address to momwholoveschrist@hotmail.com. Is that how it works?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to send a square and a wish! Could you email me you addy purtty please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll send you two from South America, just e-mail me your address, it will take a little long to get there but it will get there!!! (I hope) my e-mail is: vivi_rochacastro@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i would love to send a square and a wish! what a beautiful tradition. i am so, so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would LOVE to send a square and a lovely wish too! Please let me know where I may send it!
    Thanks a million!
    Krystal Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stumbled across your site by chance as I was getting ready for work. How beautiful! I would love to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I amy have already posted but twice can't hurt! I stumbled across your page by chance, while getting ready for work, and was truly moved! - I would love to participate! Please let me know where to send my wish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. mariab -
    Would love love love to have you participate. But I don't have a way to contact you for our mailing address. Please email me at
    nancyvnjourney@hotmail.com
    and I can forward you our mailing address.
    Look forward to hearing from you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to participate & send a fabric square, already know what I'll send. :) You can email me your address at kookinkris(at)gmail(dot)com
    Thanks,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd love to send a square & a wish. Such a neat idea! You can email me your address @ kookinkris(at)gmail(dot)com
    Thanks,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi!! I have started the same project for my baby, if you'd like to swap :)

    here's my blog: http://polinka.canalblog.com
    or just send me an e-mail: bjb.polinka@gmail.com

    Smiles,

    Polinka

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011