slide show

Friday, September 30, 2011

If Martha made Vietnamese-- Thịt Xá Xíu (Barbequed Charred Pork)

You see I have still been cooking Vietnamese food!  Just haven't posted a new recipe in a while!
You know my head has been in China.  But when it comes to food, we just adore Vietnamese food around here!  Hoping I'll be able to find some Chinese dishes that I can cook and love just as much.  To be honest, I kinda worried poor little Mazie will come home and wonder why it's all about the Vietnamese food!  If anyone has some awesome Chinese recipes to share, or a good Chinese cook book to recommend to a Caucasian soccer mom, please let me know!

Coincidentally, this dish is a popular Chinese and Vietnamese cross over dish!  Kinda like the crazy 9s themselves!  This pork dish is often seen in Chinese restaurants with red food coloring in the marinade resulting in the pink outer layer around the pork, (You know what I'm talking about right?  The pork bits in the fried rice that have a red/pink hue on the outside?)  No need to actually add food coloring.  It's just as tasty without it.
Ignore the fish sauce in the back.  It was for another recipe. 
Ingredients
2-3 lbs of pork shoulder trimmed and cut into pieces about 1 1/2" thick and about 6" long
3 clove garlic - finely minced
2 T brown or white sugar  (will probably opt for brown sugar next time)
1/2 t Chinese five-spice powder
3 T hoisin sauce
3 T honey  (Oh ya baby!  The honey makes it sooooo good!)
1 1/2 T vinegar
3 T soy
1 t oil (sesame, vegetable, canola...)

Prepare marinade by combining all ingredients except pork.
Add pork pieces, cover, and let marinade over night, or at least 6 hours.
I think you could easily cook the pork outside on the grill, but this worked better for my purposes.  (it is still 100+ degrees outside and I simply am not going out there unless I have to!)  Be sure to line to cookie sheet with foil.  The head dish washer in charge will thank you!
Position the meat in the upper rack of the oven and grill at 475 degrees.  Baste every 5-10 minutes with left over marinade.  (I actually dipped each peace back in the marinade.  Cook 30-35 min to 145 degrees.  Don't over cook it, or it will really dry out.  But do try to char the meat a bit!
Oh the outside crispy charred bits were HEAVEN I tell you!!!!
Slice very thin and serve on white rice!
And enjoy!

Livy had a football game to attend and got to eat early.  Gotta support the JV team!
But she had to share.

(Wonderful new Vietnamese soup recipe coming up soon.  It's going to be a regular in our house!  And it had few ingredients, quick to make, and easy peasy!)

6 comments:

  1. I love this marinade! My mom is Vietnamese and always makes this, especially when making fried rice for my son (who is only 6 but will eat his weight in fried rice!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I start eating Vietnamese food will I photograph as well as Livy does? She is gorgeous! I was never that put together and un-awkward at 15! Lucky girl!

    P.S. Someday soon I am going to try one of your VN recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious! Now I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last 2 shots are adorable! I love how Jude is coming in on the action too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last shot. Not a fan of pork but I CANNOT wait for the soup recipe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so easy and yummy! Do you add 1 1/2 T. of vinegar or cups?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011