slide show

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Images from my hometown

I don't know if it's being so close to my parents...
or the town square complete with band stand...
or watching my mom hold my son's hand...
or just being in my childhood home.  Which seems so much smaller.  When did they lower the ceilings?
But I miss home.  I miss the town I grew up in.  I miss being proud that I wasn't a city girl.  I miss the lack of a Starbucks on every corner.  I miss not being run off the road by chrome-bumpered Hummers.  Shockingly I miss the fact that in a small town it might take 5-6 working days for a plumber to come to an emergency house call.

So I present as evidence, images from my visit home...
You'll frequently find us lounging on the front lawn when we visit my parents home.  Waving to the neighbors as they drive by.
T&J play choo choo train.
My mom's larkspur and yarrow.
We went on a picnic to see some old friends.  It's not that great a pic.  But here's the thing about this photo.  These are the only 2 men I've ever dated.  Sitting side by side.  Enjoying each other's company.  I married one.  My best friend married the other.
Ya... it's that small of a town.

Did I mention the town square?
It's a great place to stop and enjoy ice cream on a warm day.
There a lot of this going on at the square.
In the center of the square, is this memorial plaque for local veterans.  My grandfather's and great uncle's names are listed on this plaque.
And for as many times as we've tried to move out of the city and failed, I can only image that we'll try again.  I'm really hoping it's soon.

the long road

7 comments:

  1. My town too, T! I'll be there the last couple weeks in July for MY high school reunion (I won't say which decade). I can hardly wait. Beautiful images. Touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! My husband grew up in one of those storybook small towns, and we love it there, so I really get where you are coming from. We are also far from family, so I understand that aspect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate. My parents moved out of my hometown but my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live there, as do my uncles and grandmother. I'm running out of excuses to go back, but whenever I go down to Massachusetts, I always say I'm going home. I can't wait to get back there either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I feel the same way when I go "home". Although no family still lives there I still feel so much at peace when I am there. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011