slide show

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Brain storming ideas please!

Figures.
Just when we say yes, start packing, and I start working through all those to-do lists, start making way towards a very well-earned, long-over-due family vacation, this happened.  If you look at the date, you'll see this article just came out yesterday.  I was literally in line buying Boo a pair of flipflops for the trip when I heard the news.

Also this week, in the wake of the recent local violence, the cruise lines have dropped Mazatlan indefinitely from their port of calls.  We don't need to bring up the decapitations and kidnappings.  Yes, I said decapitations.

Our families have traveled in Mexico no less than 709,054 times.  We knew about things like this travel restriction and the recent increase in violent crime in Mexico.  And we still felt comfortable driving down there in large part due to when and how we were traveling, who we were traveling with, and where we would be staying once we got there.  But these recent reports just can't be ignored.  I just won't take my littles.
So now were scrambling.  We told the kiddos at breakfast this morning and brain stormed some ideas.  The calendar is clear, but we have a very limited budget.
Anyone have ANY suggestions for a cheap family vacation?  I'm really looking for any advice and willing to think outside the box.
If we do one more "stay-cation" I'll just lose it.  Really I will.  We're pros at stay-cations.  They're lovely.  But we've exhausted the possibilities in our area.
We're willing to drive a 12 hour radius from Scottsdale, AZ.
Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated.

I'm sticking with my Grapes of Wrath imagery.  It works for me.  And besides, I'm having a bad hair day.
Here I am, again with my handsome buck of a husband (yes, I KNOW that's her son in the story, but for my purposes it's my husband, so work with me people!  Henry Fonda was a hottie!) longing for the sandy beaches of Mazatlan.  No doubt I'm thinking of all the Margaritas that could have been.  Surley I look like a margarita drinker in the picture!  The carne asadas.  The fresh little flour tortillas... still warm.  Sand between my toes.  The waves breaking in the background.  If you look closely, you can see a bit of spittle forming at the corner of my mouth and a tear in my eye.

And here's my family.
Aren't we a lovely bunch?  Wondering where we can go and what we can do on this well earned holiday?   Just standing there waiting for inspiration from y'all!  What have you done on a budget?  We just want the kiddos to have a little fun.  Cheap fun that is.

All suggestions seriously taken into consideration. 

PS-We're not taking the goat anywhere.  He's gonna stay home.  Besides, he doesn't drink margaritas anyway.
PPS-Papa, you ARE my Henry Fonda!  You ARE my hottie!  You are my hunk-a-burnin' love!

10 comments:

  1. stinky! i don't know how far Santa Barbara is from you guys, but from LA, this was my favorite escape. Our family stayed in the cheapest motels possible. We drove to another beach called Carpenteria that is very charming and both towns have lovely little restaurants. Slow Pace. peaceful. Beachy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stinky! i don't know how far Santa Barbara is from you guys, but from LA, this was my favorite escape. Our family stayed in the cheapest motels possible. We drove to another beach called Carpenteria that is very charming and both towns have lovely little restaurants. Slow Pace. peaceful. Beachy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you so much for finding my blog and for posting about your experiences with Vietnam. It was such an encouragement for my husband and I to look over your timeline last night and find some hope again. I am so confused and concerned and trying to remain completely faithful and trusting that the Lord knows what His is doing. I desire to include these little ones in our family with so much of myself that the thought of them not being with us feels like a death...How did you do it :) Any encouragement you can offer would be so appreciated. My email is j_gumieny@yahoo.com
    Blessings to you and your family!
    j
    www.beneaththeacaciatree.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about Texas? Texas has some great beaches and we have had fun visiting there. We took the ferry over to Galveston and it was so nice. We ate at a tiny restaurant and the town was nice and quiet. Perfect for our little family. Hope you find something good soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all! You all are GREAT to give suggestions. Ok we're starting to think a California trip might be workable. Looking for ideas of cheap fun things to do around LA and San Diego.
    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you come this way, I'll make sure you still get your margarita!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, come to CA!! My condo has plenty of room for everyone and the complex I live in has a pool! Also, Hani makes very good margaritas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come see us in LA! As others have said Santa Barabara is wonderful, but Ventura is too (cheaper, less ritzy, a little bit closer to LA, but still a great beach and downtown area). Actually in LA we have some fun free museums (Discovery Science, Getty, etc.), the theme parks, more beaches...
    Another great option would be Palm Desert. There are a lot of nice resorts there, not too expensive, some that even have 2 bedroom condos with a full kitchen. You'd still get relaxing time in the water - just around the pool instead. It's one of our very favorite places to go, and we often don't spend more than $500 for the 5 of us for a week.
    I hope you find someplace wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try St. George Utah?
    http://www.utah.com/stgeorge/

    Try Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa- they used to have a Iron Chef style family experience. Close to Sea World
    http://hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/offers/details.jsp?offerId=103431&isBookable=true

    San Diego- Try the Park Hyatt Aviara. I believe it is close to Legoland

    Henderson Nevada- Loews Lake Las Vegas Resort (not near the strip)

    Lost Pines Texas- try Hyatt Regency Pines Resort and Spa- horseback riding and much more to do- just outside of Dallas

    best wishes on finding the perfect vacation spot.

    A. Mom to 2
    Viet Nam and China

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011