slide show

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới!

(That's Happy New Year in Vietnamese!)
This is the year of the Cat!  The cat the signifies a time of comfort and peace.  I'm all for that!
And I don't know about you, but I am SO ready to usher the rat out the door and say hello to the cat!  (Despite the fact that Papa is horribly allergic to cats!  Uh oh!)
(A photograph I took at the Temple of Literature in Hanoi in '08)

Since Tết (New Years) is a time when Vietnamese families gather and celebrate together, our family is having it's celebration this weekend with an open house for our family and friends.  Lots of Vietnamese food and great company!  I can't wait!  
Until then I leave you with a traditional greeting this time of year-


Cung Chúc Tân Xuân
(Gracious wishes of the new spring)

5 comments:

  1. Interesting that in China it is "Year of the Rabbit" and in Vietnam it is "Year of the Cat." I just assumed they were the same. Oh, well, you know what happens when you assume... Anyway, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. prechrswife-most of the zodiac is the same for China and VietNam. But this is one of the instances when it is different, as are sheep/goat and ox/water buffalo. The Vietnamese take pride in the differences with the Chinese culture and how they stand apart from their neighbor. But they do share many similarities too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just may have to make a trip to your house this weekend. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now if only you explained how to pronounce all of that. I know I don't say it right...not even close.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011