slide show

Monday, February 28, 2011

5 reasons why not

Guess who has gone ahead and shocked her mama silly!
Kiddos are like that.
Just when you think you know what to expect and how it's all gonna unfold they go ahead and surprise you!
Guess who is potty trained, and it took all of 1 1/2 days!
At almost 3 1/2 year old, I was worried Tess was getting too old.
Anyone remember this series of posts with the boy child?  It took a little over a week, and he picks things up quickly.
I was hoping folks wouldn't judge me that we waited so long till potty training her (and thankfully nobody has!)
But there were 5 stumbling blocks that kept me from trying sooner.

1-She was adamant about wearing diapers.  Every time  I would ask my darling little control-freak if she'd like to put (on or even look) at her big-girl underwear she'd holler at me, NO!  DIAPER!  MY DIAPER!  So that was that for a long while.  I didn't want to push it.   At least we know who's running the show.

2-Her speech is still quite delayed, and her vocabulary is quite limited for her age.  I wondered if she had it in her to tell me when she needed to go.

3-My own fear of failure.  I'm fragile like that.

4-That whole realignment of the astrological signs!  That's seems to have messed just about everything up!

5-I don't really have a fifth reason, but 5 sounded more legitimate than 4 reasons so I lied used my literary license and said 5 when there were actually only 3.
But she's nearing 3 1/2 and my pride was getting the better of me. So stumbling blocks and all we decided to give it a go!
I pulled her from preschool for 2 days giving me a 5 day window.
Turned out I only needed 1 1/2!
Really?
This sweet child who has always taken a little (or a lot) extra effort and training?
One of my easiest kiddos to potty train?  (Second only to Sunny who took all of 10 minutes to potty train and jaded me for the next 15 years.  Anyone wanna guess who took the longest at almost a year?  I haven't been the same since.)
I mean I had been dreading doing this for over a year!
I assumed it was going to be another battle of the wills!
But no.
1 1/2 days, 1 accident, 1 bag on m&m's later, and poof... it was done!
I'm still shocked!
I waited for many days, turn a couple of weeks, for the other shoe to drop.
It hasn't.

15 comments:

  1. Two potty-training posts in one morning! Congrats. :o) I detest potty-training. Have at least two more ahead of me. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and way to go Tess! M&M's make anything possible, don't they? That yellow bow is simply divine in her hair. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Tess! That is great. Go figure. Never underestimate the power of chocolate. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you and Tess! These are gorgeous photos. The other shoe did drop here, but we are making progress again. I detest potty training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. did she use the same genius plan as Jude to monopolize on the candy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. gimme the details. i have someone approaching three and i really really want to start mentally preparing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was such a lame comment. what i should have said:

    Congrats! and She's GORGEOUS. Awesome shots, N.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So proud of you Tess! (and well done Mama!)

    ~Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy, CONGRATS!!!!!!! We have an almost- 3 1/2 year old who is not potty trained yet. We tried last week and had too many accidents, so back into diapers for now. We'll try again next month!

    I LOVE the 5th shot of your DD - she is SUCH a gorgeous little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Staci-there are NO lame comments! ALL comments feed the fragile self-esteem of the author! Now you've left 2 of them! I'm having a lovely day!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. ORB-yes, she's LOVIN' the candy! That may be the only reason it's worked SO quickly! Like someone else said, never underestimate the power of a girl with chocolate!
    the crazy mama!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, a big congrats to you!!! So great! I confess that I'm a proponent of the late potty training myself. I'd rather change diapers than messy pants. Gross.

    And, she is stunning - those photos are amazing, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! That's a big step =).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are we really supposed to guess who took a year? I have a guess :o) If I am right though I think this one was really just using the usual tactic of shock and awe to keep you going as early as potty training? It is so great for you to have no diapers, for now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was watching the movie Freakonomics and they had a piece about potty training, because as you mentioned, potty training is HUGE, so of course it would make it into an economics film.

    anyways, here's link to just that part. start at :30.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gm2NuxQjg

    little genius economists

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011