slide show

Friday, November 19, 2010

Family Faves--Apple-Pumpkin Muffins

Have to pass this one on!   Too yummy not to!
Operation "Plump up Tess and Patch" is still going strong.  Muffins are my latest weapon.  Just the perfect snack for harvest season, or quick bite as Sunny heads out the door to work.  When the kiddos start to get bored with sandwiches in their lunch box, I like to substitute a muffin spread with cream cheese, and they love it!  Pumpkin is SO good for the body!  And seeing as how Thanksgiving is next week, canned pumpkin is on sale everywhere right now, so I'm stocking up for the whole year.
Apple-Pumpkin Muffins


1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c veg oil
1 cup pumpkin (canned)
2 1/4 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground nutmeg
2 chopped peeled apples (we like granny smith best, but honestly we use anything that's on hand)
Combine sugar, eggs and oil.  
Fold in pumpkin.  
Sift in remaining dry ingredients.  Mix until just moist.  (Don't over mix.  Batter may be lumpy.)  Fold in apples. 
Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes.  (My convention oven is 325 degrees for 25 min)  
To ensure you have moist muffins, don't not over bake, and take out of over as soon as knife/toothpick comes out clean.  

We prefer not to chop up the apples too small.  I really like the little bites of apple through out the muffin.  But you might want to make the pieces a bit smaller.  
In the name of trying-to-get-it-all-done, I have a couple tricks to help making muffins a quick process.  I can usually get a batch of muffins in the oven in the amount of time it takes the babes to eat lunch.  
I leave a measuring 1-cup measuring cup in the flour. 
Also when I sift in the dry ingredients, I put my little sifter right on top of my mixing bowl, measure out the dry ingredients in the sifter, then sift/shake right into the mixing bowl.  Less dishes to wash and messes to make.   I don't think sifting is really all that critical to the 12-year-old pallet.  But I do think it makes the muffins lighter.  So abandon the sifting all together if you want.   

Here they are before going into the oven.  This recipe made 20 muffins this time.
Mmmmmmmm!  
And let me add, this recipe baking in the oven will leave your whole home smelling DIVINE!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These look AMAZING. Wish you lived close so I could just come by and steal some! If I get motivated, I may try to make them.

    Loving the square muffin pan, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011