slide show

Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Blues and Yellow

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays!  Food, family, food, laughter, food, reminissing, hugs, food... did I mention the food?  Thanksgiving is pure joy!
So with about 20+ folks coming to our house for supper this Turkey Day, I've been busy these last few days.  I've been knee deep making apple and pumpkin pies, going to the grocery store, cleaning the back patio, prepping the appetizers, popping a Valium or two...  No, not really!   Really!
But...
So here's my secret...  I've really been down in the dumps recently.
Really blue.

I'd like to blame it all on the winter quickly approaching, increasing lack of sunlight, and cold weather.  But we live in the desert so it's 78 degrees with sunny skies every day.  So there goes that excuse!
And maybe I'll get into the source of my blues later, but for now let's just say that it sure is hard to tell what God is saying sometimes.  Prayer can be really hard.  Especially when it seems to be an all one-sided conversation.  When I'm just not hearing any reply.  It's hard to understand just what in the heck He's saying.  And sometimes I feel like I'm listening so hard, all I'm hearing is my own breathing and tears.  And then I remember that I've told my kiddos several times, that if you can't hear the answers to your questions, perhaps you're asking God the wrong questions.  So I try to change the questions.  But He seems to keep taking me to the same place.

That's a lot of rambling, but that's all I got right now.  Sorry.

So when the dog bites or the bee stings, I simply remember to turn to a couple of my favorite things.
In my case this time, I turn to photography and my girlie!

She asked if we could go take pictures together.
And I automatically wonder, how much longer is my girl going to want to spend time with me?
So of course I indulge her.
Photography and my girl!
Together?
Surely that will help lift my blues!

She grabbed our little Nikon snappy.
I grabbed my SLR and my new toy, a 100mm macro.  (By new, I mean, photography on a budget.  I rented the lens for the weekend and had a little fun fooling around with it!)

And we took a little walk around the neighborhood, and we stumbled upon this.
It's November mind you and we stumbled upon a little stand of wild flowers in the middle of the city!
Oh how I love the desert in the winter!  God is so generous in the winter in the desert.  Golden flowers spewing all over this fence line seemed to be just what I needed to help lift me out of my doldrums.  It was just so ordinary and so gorgeous all at the same time.  There is a road right here too, and I wondered how many times have I driven by and never noticed this spread of little golden flowers.
And then, just to make it even better, there were honey bees all over the flowers!
Isn't God just incredible?
Please don't miss the translucent wings, OK?
Or their furry backs.
Do bees have backs?  
Or the pollen on their legs... don't miss that either.  It's just so incredible!
It'd be a shame not to soak up all this gorgeous beauty God has set before us.  
For me it was a reminder, that even during the dark times of blue, He's there, shining in yellow so bright and there for me.  Right there by my side, lovin' on me, even when it's uncertain and hard to see.  He's there offering me His hand to help me down the path.
Keeping it real, I'm not really feeling chipper or anything.  But the flowers and honey bees have left me feeling a bit encouraged.  At least encourage to keep listening and trying to get it right despite all my stumbling around.  Kinda like God was telling me to keep up with the prayer, and in His time, He'll nudge me in the correct direction.
I'm still going to be listening hard to His whispers.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I totally get what you mean about hearing God's voice. I think we know, and then everything changes. For me the question is: is it fear holding me back or God not speaking? I have and will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm-I hear ya, funny I have been "stuck" in that same exact place lately. I hear the Lord telling me "let me have it, give your worries to me, nothing is too big or too hard for me" but my human person just can't let it go. It is these points that we will grow the most right? Or so "they" say! I will add you to my prayer list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, do I hear ya!!! Hang in there and so will I! He always comes through and in some amazing ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often it is the rhythms of nature that comfort me when nothing else will. No matter how sad you are, God will send you those beautiful yellow flowers and fuzzy bees next year and the year after. That is something you can count on!
    Hang in there,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hangin' with ya and LOVING the pictures......Hey, blue and yellow make green - I don't know what significance that has other than it's a new color. It's not blue. So that should be a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW WOW!!! Those are stunning photos! I can just feel the warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these photos!! Absolutely incredible!!

    Totally get what you mean. I've often wondered if it's me. I don't often hear His voice with clarity and it gets frustrating at times. I'll be praying for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with bear creek Mama. Thinking about you. And wishing I could traipse around in a field taking pictures. Looks heavenly to me. Because there isn't any poop in that field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing images! I so know what you mean... when Gene wants to do something with me, I snatch up that opportunity so fast for it could be the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this! "And sometimes I feel like I'm listening so hard, all I'm hearing is my own breathing and tears." This is where we are at these days too. I am encouraged by your photos. Creation offers evidence that He has a plan! I can find comfort in that.
    LOVING your blog!

    ~Candace

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you said "How long will my girl want to spend time with me?" My heart just sank. How long, how long do we have with these amazing little people who have changed our hearts and made our lives better. Mine is only three and she is going to be our only, unless God somehow wants us to have more. I wonder what she will like to do with me? Again, you are an amazing woman. I am blessed to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011