slide show

Saturday, September 11, 2010

40 lb of peaches

I talked a while back about missing my grandmother.  2 years later, I'm still am having a hard time with her being gone.  I called her my Mimi.  I have a hard time even putting her name in print.  Growing up, I always thought "Mimi" meant grandmother in her mother tongue.  But she was from Chicago, so Mimi was really just a nickname.  To me, "Mimi" meant not just Grandma, but unconditional love and lessons and adoration from my Grandma, the best My Mimi, ever.  
And I think one of the things that gets me so down, is that I seem to come from a generation that is so caught up in cell phones and Skype and Facebook and ipads and blogging and emails, that we've let many of the lessons of our grandmothers fall short.   My Mimi taught me many many things.  But she didn't teach me enough,'cause she's not here anymore, and I still don't know it all.  
Last year, I set out to make jam.  My grandmother made jam, and in fact she canned everything under the sun, like nuclear devastation was just around the corner.   She had a whole bedroom that was full canned foods.  Ok, so it honestly looked a little like hoarding, but we won't talk about that right now.  She had a 1 acre garden in her front yard.  And she canned it all including jams, fruits, vegetables, beans, relishes, picked everything.  Grandpa did a LOT of fishing so she canned meats too, salmon and tuna and... and... and...

But she never taught me how to can foods.  And now she's gone.  I guess I was just too busy... with babies, and working and cell phone messages and emails and all.  That's so sad now.   So, last year I set out to make jam despite the fact that I didn't know how.  And even sadder, I couldn't find any folks in my neck of the woods to teach me.  So I used the curssed internet to teach me, and it worked!  I canned jam for the first time last fall!

This year, my sister-in-law, decided to keep "Operation Grandma's Lessons" going.  

40 lbs of peaches @ 3 lbs for a $1.  Lots of jars @ 12 jars for $6.70.  10 lbs of sugar, fruit fresh, 3 1/2 hours, and a really cute baby willing to go with the flow.  
This is my very favorite picture of the morning, baby PC taking a nap in the middle of 40 lbs of peaches.  I can't help but smile, but really my neck is starting to hurt!

36 jars of canned peaches!  Aren't they gorgeous! 
We have grand plans of canning jams and apple sauce next!  Maybe even orange marmalade!  Or a relish?

I miss you more than I ever thought possible, my Mimi!

14 comments:

  1. Those are some great pictures and I have serious kitchen envy now. :)

    Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    I know just how you feel. I live states away from all my family members. And I miss out on all the baking, painting, and woodworking my family does. So, last year when my parents and grandparents came to visit I learned how to make homemade ice cream, dinner rolls, bread, pie crust, apple dumplings, and cinnamon rolls all from my families own recipes!

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful memories you have of your grandmother! Hold them tight in your heart and she will always be there. I am sure she was loving watching you can all those peaches! Wish I even knew where to start! I love the sleeping baby pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your Mimi sounds wonderful!!!

    Love the picture of the little one sleeping....so precious!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,these are such simple pictures, but absolutely beautiful. That was fun,I can't wait for session two! You have an amazing eye, one of the two things God didn't bless me with that I wish I had-the other gift I wish I had was a voice to sing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my Grandma cans EVERYTHING but she lives far away and I am hurting that I never was able to learn these things when we lived in teh same state. I am thinking I might need to take a trip with the kiddos for a few days of canning...

    ReplyDelete
  7. also, someone should snap that head cover on the ergo and fix that poor baby's head! it's how the good lord, or the people that made the ergo, intended it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Staci- We DID fix his head, but you just know I had to snap a pic of it first!
    Go see your grandma! Now is the season to can. I've been looking at new recipes for the better part of an hour. Pumpkin spread? Marmalade when my tree gets crankin? A relish? Hmmmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm so jealous! Can I join YOUR family? Or, do those jars ship well? :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look SO yummy! Can't wait to hear how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great expression of legacy! My Grandmama always has fresh cut peaches waiting for us when we go to visit. :) I wish my Grandmama Joy had lived just a little longer, she was a sewing and cooking machine and those are two things I'll never get to learn from her. Thank you for sharing your relationship with your Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't call either of them "mimi," but this made me think of the kitchens of two women I loved to spend summers with. What I wouldn't give to stand by my paternal grandmother's side as she mixed her spice cake or my maternal grandmother's side as she put up her strawberry jam...
    Thank you for stirring up some wonderful memories!
    And oh, your kitchen is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, every time I see an episode of Hoarders I think of Grandma's "office" aka the Armageddon Room. We would have lived for years on green beans and jam at that house. Not to mention the freezers full of meat :) When I get back stateside we need to make candy or can some stuff together <3 YFS Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011