slide show

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

If Martha Made Vietnamese-- Gỏi Đu Đủ Tôm Thịt (Green Papaya Salad with Shrimp & Pork)


   Gỏi means salad
   Đu Đủ means papaya
   Tôm means shrimp
+ Thịt means pork          
   A wonderful Vietnamese summer salad!  

And don't even get me started on the wonders of papaya!  There is tons of papaya in this recipe and my insides thank me!  You'll need to make a trip to the Asian market for the green papaya.  Really, it's nothing more than a papaya that isn't rip yet.  You can also find the carrots already julienned there.  And while you're there, be sure to pick up the fried shallots and garlic!  You'll use them on more than just this dish.  

Most often this salad comes with beef jerky in it.  Now, although that sounds wonderful, I'm going to have to wait till a nice, well-meaning Viet person is willing to show me around the "jerkey" section of the Asian Market.  There are just so many choices and all look foreign to me!  So I've gone with another traditional version of this salad with shrimp and pork.  And I think it would be easy to do a Vegetarian version of this one too.  It would still have lots of yummy flavor!

If you have a mandolin, break it out to julienne the papaya and carrots.  There's a variety of way to julienne the papaya, but my Asian knife skills are poor at best.  Rather non-existent.  So julienne which ever way you can.  As long as you come up with very fine, long, match-stick sized strips of papaya is good.  You really don't want the papaya shredded.  Think long narrow-as-possible slices.  Aside from that, this salad is easy to make!

Because we will definatley make this salad again, I'm thinking of getting one of these julienne gizmos.  It's expensive for a kitchen gadget!  But the reviews are good and thanks to Granna, I just love a good kitchen gizmo as long as it works!  Anyone have this or something like it to recommend?

Gỏi Đu Đủ Tôm Thịt (Green Papaya Salad with Shrimp & Pork)
  • 1 green papaya, seeded, peeled, and finely julienned
  • 1/2 c shredded/julienned carrots
  • 6 ounces cooked pork, thinly sliced (We used a left over meaty pork chop from the dinner last night.)
  • 4 sprigs fresh mint -coarsely chopped
  • 4 sprigs Thai basil -coarsely chopped
  • 6 sprigs cilantro - coarsely chopped (sometimes Cilantro usually isn't as leafy as other herbs.  Use the same quantity as the basil and mint.)
  • 1/2 lb  cooked medium-size shrimp peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
For the salad, combine the above ingredients in a large bowl.  

Dress with Nước Chấm or Traditional Vietnamese Dipping Sauce, the recipe is here (which, by the way, is SUPER easy and pretty quick to make!)

Garnish- with ----fried red Asian shallots, crushed roasted peanuts, and fried garlic chips

This was a great opportunity to teach the girls how to clean and devein shrimp.  Which is really just my way of finally getting out of 30 years of cleaning and deveining shrimp, a job I detest!
Slice the shrimp lengthwise in half.
And lots and lots of papaya!
Mmmmmmmm!
PS-Thought y'all might be sick of your summer stand-by recipes by now.  So here's this one, and next week there is another great summer VN recipe coming up too with grilled pork and rice noodles.  Then sometime soon after that, I have a basic pho tutorial coming up.  Well... it's as good as a Caucasian girl can do anyways!  Since we've returned from the cabin, I've been cooking up a storm!

5 comments:

  1. so, i went to the dining hall today for one of my now MANY daily meals, and i was surprised to see that one of the choices was vietnamese pho. i was not impressed, so i really hope that good pho is better than ASU pho

    ReplyDelete
  2. ORB- You just tell me when you are coming over, and I'll have Sunny make us pho. (then I'll make a spaghetti just in case Viet cuisine isn't your thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just tell me when it's being made and i'll be there. i'll take the spaghetti anyways. the italian in me can't say no to that

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was just plain torture reading this post!! This looks delicious. I could use a midnight snack about right now! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011