slide show

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cranky mama and Mr. Wonderful

I was cranky from the very moment I woke up.  It wasn't gonna be good.

It started the night before.  I insisted on staying up late 'cause I'm a night owl, and I could, and they're the only moments I have to myself, so I did. 

I finally went to bed at a shameful hour that I won't even tell you.  But when I did finally crawl in bed, Papa was hard asleep.  H.A.R.D. asleep!  Like dead to the world complete with stuffed sinuses, and that means one thing... snoring and snoring... snoring... SNORING...

No amount of light jostling, or hard jostling for that matter, or roll overs, or 1-sided pillow fights, did anything to get him to quiet.  I had earplugs in.  And that snoring just resonated right through to my ear drums.  An hour or two went by.  Now it was really late.

In a moment I'm not proud of, I gently removed the blanket, so as not to disturb my hard working husband during his blissful slumber ripped the down blanket from our bed and snatched my favorite pillow and stormed out to the couch.  I'm pretty sure I was mumbling something under my breath too... something foul... something I'm not proud of.  He didn't notice.  Did I mention he was snoring still?

The couch was uncomfortable.  I was fearful a mosquito would land on me and suck out all my blood and bundled the down comforter around every inch of flesh, tucking it tightly so as not to get bit.  (insert irrational fear of mosquitoes here...)  I was sweating bullets all night, waking frequently only to take stock of the profuse sweating yet continuing to tuck in the heavy down comforter around me. 

I woke to the first light of day to that {strange} feeling that someone is starting at you.  I cracked my puffy, blood-shot, eyes.  Papa looking at me strangely as if to say, why are you out here and not in our comfy bed?

Well, why didn't you tell me you were up so I could go lay down in our comfortable, appropriately blanket-laden bed?  (Insert harsh undeserved eye rolling here)

Tucked into our bed, I woke 30 seconds later, (ok, it was more like an hour later) to our car alarm going off.  That was the tiniest bit shocking!  5 minutes later, after much searching for car keys, we found Tess playing with the keys in the corner of her room.

This lack of sleep led to a cranky day.  No nap lest it start all over the next day.  And at 6 pm, I shut myself off in our bedroom and asked Papa for a bit of {needed} quiet time. 
Papa, Mr. Wonderful, my Mr. wonderful, said nothing, smiled and closed our door leaving me alone.  He cranked Casting Crowns and gave the babes a bath.  He tidied a bit.  I am now alone and have had a moment to reflect on my day.  I feel horrible.  A whole Saturday lost to a very cranky mama. 

It's 7:19pm now, and it seems eerily quiet out there, behind my closed bedroom door.  I think he has also tucked the little ones in bed.  I hear him laughing at America's Funniest Home Videos.  He loves that show.  But don't tell him I told you that.  He might get embarrassed.  And truth be told he also loves to watch cartoons with the littler Crazy 8s on Saturday morning, allowing me to sleep in... every single Saturday.  That's my man that I surely don't deserve, especially today.
I'm strangely refreshed and still feeling so tired yet rejuvenated. 

The privilege of having a cranky day?  I am the luckiest gal in the world!
Lesson learned.  Thank you, Lord for presenting me with this opportunity to practice being a better me.

6 comments:

  1. I have those kind of days every now and then... So I can totally relate!! Glad to hear you got some quiet time to recoop... your guy does sound wonderful!!
    Sweet pictures of you two!
    Happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved this post. I'm definitely a night owl too...then pay for it the next day!! These pictures of you two are so sweet. you can definitely SEE the love!

    Happy Fourth of July!! Hopefully it's a bit less cranky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truth be told I have those kinds of days far more than my little lady. To give her a little quiet time is the least I can do. She deserves so much more than a little time. If I knew I was going to have a lens 6 inches from my nose I would have considered shaving. Thank you for all that you do for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. starfishflinger-I like you kinda rough and scraggly! Maybe I should have shaved too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say? I've said it before but I will say it again. I love coming to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm new here...not sure how I found you. But thankful I did...and as i'm looking at the date of this post...i'm almost a year late. nonetheless, your post touched me. i'm very happy!!! thank you!~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011