slide show

Thursday, July 15, 2010

On my nightstand...

Well these books are actually on my front porch rather than my nightstand.  Pure heaven to read on my porch everyday, especially as the monsoons roll in and the rain pours down and the thunder and lightning crash all around.  Pure heaven.
This in the pile of books that were in my summer reading list.  Truth be told, I really don't have much time to read any other time of year.  And I'm actually not a very proficient reader.  I'm slow.  So 3-4 books in the summer is usually plenty.
But something happened this summer, and I've been plowing through books much faster than expected.

The Art of Racing in the Rain was my first book this summer, and it was wonderful.  I really can't even tell you what it is about, 'cause it may sound silly.  But even if you're not a dog lover, it is awesome!  Liv is now finishing it up now, and she had really has enjoyed it too.
The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel
Then I moved onto The Red Thread.  It was a good book, but not great.  It's about a group of families adopting from China.  If you're interested in international adoption, it was good, but not very accurate from an adoptee's view point.  I still poured through it in just a few days.
The Red Thread: A Novel
Then I recently finished The Help.  It was just SPECTACULAR!  It was just so so so good!  It took place in early 1960's Mississippi and is about the relationships between white families and the domestic black women that they employ.   Even though I have no personal experience with any of the context of this book, I just loved it!  Defiantly worth the read and one that I will pass on to my daughters too.
The Help
The Education of Little Tree is young adult literature and one of my all time favorites for kiddos.  It's about at a 5th grade reading level, and one that I had read to my students every year when I was teaching.  This is the book I'm reading aloud with my kiddos.  It's a coming of age book, that centers around an orphaned boy, being raised by his very poor grandparents, and who has to come to terms with his Native American heritage while in his own Caucasian skin.
The Education of Little Tree
Now I've started  Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  I can't tell y'all if I like it or what it's about because I'm only on page 10.
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Well, now for the request, please.  I need another book recommendation or two for the summer!  Please. And I need it soon.  Suggestions?

(I can't bring myself to talk about pee even one more day!  I'll get back to it tomorrow, really, probably, almost for sure, kinda.)

5 comments:

  1. two books i LOVED this year:
    Little Bee and Cutting for Stone. I give both an A, and Cutting for Stone an A+ maybe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to tell me how you like the Hotel on the Corner or Bitter and Sweet. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So can you explain to me just how this reading time occurs with such a large family? What is the secret? If I could go on my patio or porch right now and read....sigh.... Maybe when school starts? How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So can you explain to me just how this reading time occurs with such a large family? What is the secret? If I could go on my patio or porch right now and read....sigh.... Maybe when school starts? How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this - i have been planning a post of all my summer reading. i loved the help as well, and i have the hotel book on my holds list at the library.

    i finally finished three cups of tea, and i am nujood, aged 10 and divorced. both were fascinating and inspirational. after those i needed a break and wanted to read easier fiction that didn't require much thinking. my favorites were: heart of the matter, everyone is beautiful, and a year of pleasures.

    i hope you'll keep sharing your suggestions! i'm putting them on my holds list now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011