slide show

Monday, November 7, 2011

starfish flingers

(Originally posted June 23, 2010)
"Starfishflinger" left me a comment the other day.  I instantly remembered the story of the starfish flinger.  Just those 2 words touch my heart.


If you're not familiar with the story of the starfish flinger, here it is below, and just maybe it will mark your soul as it did mine.  If you've heard this diddy before, then I hope it will leave you with a warm reminder.


The Starfish Flinger
As the old man walked the beach at dawn, he noticed a young man picking up starfish and flinging them into the sea. Catching up to the youth, he asked why he was doing this. The answer was that the stranded starfish would die if left until the morning sun. "But the beach goes on for miles and there are millions of starfish," countered the other. "How can your effort make any difference?" The young man looked at the starfish in his hand and threw it to safety in the waves. "It makes a difference to this one," he said. -Author Unknown



I wanna be a starfish flinger.
In my idealistic world, each of us finds our way to be a starfish flinger.  Work with the elderly, generate funds for charity, be a big brother, adopt, speak with a kind nonjudgmental heart, plant a church, rock babies, help a teen get to college, sponsor a child... and each of us making it part of our life.  


You know by now that special-needs adoption is a topic near and dear to my heart.  These children are my starfish, my blessings.  I know 1 adoption won't alter the course of the 150 million children that are orphans.  Adoption of a child {or 2 or 3 or 4} won't change the world.  And I don't want to save the world mostly 'cause I know I can't.  But through adoption the world will change for one child.  We want(ed) to be a part of that.


PS - The pic is of a little, ragged, almost loved-to-death, gift Tess & Jude presented me.  Surely plucked from somebody's garden.  I'm sorry neighbors.  Oh the treasures of the starfish!  I am blessed.

6 comments:

  1. I came across your blog and am so encouraged by the starfish flinger. What a beautiful picture of adoption. I love how adoption not only changes the life for that child, but for that incredibly blessed family that the Lord has chosen for their family. Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly-I'm so glad this story encouraged you. It a fabulous little reminder to LIVE a Christian life rather than just to be a Christian. I'll come visit your blog too!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi--I'd love to talk to you about reprinting this post (and more of your posts--you are a great writer) on a new website for adoption related articles from a Christian worldview. Please email me if you want to hear more about it --
    mkraudy@verizon.net
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story--it is one of my favorites. We share a similar heart, but I have to add that one child CAN change the world! Think of Gandhi and Mother Teresa and Benjamin Franklin and Jonas Salk etc. etc. And each of my children is changing the world--one person at a time. Each time we have adopted we have a friend or relative that goes on to adopt too--and the circle goes out from there. So even with each adopted child, many more come home to families. Love your blog!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I stalk your blog (mostly because I stalk the Holt message board and when I see you have responded to somebody's post, I click on your blog's link)! :) We just started the adoption process for number two, and I have to tell you, coming across "The Starfish Flinger" really spoke to my heart and almost made me cry. You are so right. I can't change the world for the 150 million orphans, though the good Lord knows I would like to, I will make a difference for those two I can. Thank you for posting this -- and for all of your well-worded, insightful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sitting in my hotel room in Vegas trying to figure out how I can get home ahead of schedule. I just don't like being away from the energy that six children supply. (They giveth and taketh away). T & J were meant to be in our arms, in our family from the beginning of time, just as I was meant to be in the arms of my mother and father. God knows the plans He has for us and although I don't deserve it He has choose to bless me with 6 lovely children. Truth be told I am the one how has been saved. If you are considering adoption, or helping in the adoption community I will be the first to encourage you, give God the opportunity to bless you as richly as he has blessed me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011