slide show

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

From out my window...

I was born in Arizona in the desert.  It's not that pretty in the summer.  It's dry and mostly brown.  
We've driven this road hundreds of times.  It's the road to the cabin.  An escape from dry mostly brown summer desert heat.  When we left, it was 97 degrees, and it was 10am.
3 hours and 175 miles.  Desert, cacti, mountains, pine forests... in that order.
I shot all these pictures looking out the window with Papa driving 70mph.  
This mountain is 4 Peaks.  In the winter the 4 peaks get topped with snow, which is such a dichotomy with all the saguaros in the desert below.  With all our rain this winter and spring, the saguaros are in full bloom. They remind me of little old ladies wearing flowered bathing caps.  
Then we have to make our way up mountain...
and back down the mountain...
The elevation is a bit higher here.  Notice the lack of cacti, although it's still the desert to me. 
My GrandDaddy is buried out there.  He was a cowboy.  This was the land he rode for a lifetime.  He was honery sometimes.  I miss him.  
This is Rye, and if you've driven this road, you probably remember passing the bicycle man.  It's been here as long as I can remember.  This is about 1/4 of the lot.  I've always wanted to stop and wander around.  
Then back up another mountain, into the pine forests.   See that rim on the top?  That's where we're going.  
And when you get there the view looks like this!  
Land spreadin' out so far and wide.  Keep the city, just give me that countryside. 

In  the summer of 2002 I was staying at Granna and Grandpa's cabin.  I drove back down to the desert for an appointment and couldn't get back to the cabin because of a forest fire... a big forest fire.  The roads were closed and the towns were evacuated.   8 years later it looks like this. 
The fire was originally started by a lost hiker who was trying to signal for help.   The Rodeo-Chediski fire ultimately consumed 467,066 acres and many homes. 
Arriving in our small town, we drive in to see this.  So perfect to be met by a tractor.
Good bye, city life. 
And here's our little cabin at the end of the road.  Nestled in the middle of tall pine and oak trees.  
3pm and 68 degrees.  Gonna start our daily walks right off.
No doctor's appointments.  No book reports.  No uniforms.  No committees.  Few commitments.  Goodbye traffic and freeways.  Goodbye helicopters.  The telephone hardly rings unless it's a friend asking me over for a glass of wine.  Dirty feet and tired kiddos.  Squirrel watching.  Blueberry pancake breakfasts.  Hammocks.  Thunderstorms.  Pine-needle houses.  Card games and cousins.  Naps.  Curling up with a good book.  Bingo, bike rides and walks.  
9 weeks of bliss.

5 comments:

  1. no appointments for 9 weeks? holy moly. BLISS. but you have internet.
    Thank Goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that drive. Its one of the few truly scenic drives left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that drive. Its one of the few truly scenic drives left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have your life? Sounds wonderful. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you're on vacation and all, but I would really appreciate weekly updates and pictures ; ) Have a wonderful 9 weeks, and I truly can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011