slide show

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Busy Ordinary Day...

I would just love to know what my mama's typical day was like when I was a kiddo myself, eons ago.  I don't write this down to tell you how busy I am.   All mamas are busy!  And truth be told, I love the bustle with a little bit of chaos thrown in.  I write this down for my kiddos to read 20 years from now when they have children of their own and maybe realize that things weren't that different.

Tuesday's are extraordinarily busy days with 2 therapy sessions, piano lessons, and this week both boys had baseball games at the same time.  Papa helps coach one of the teams.  The afternoon therapy session is new for my schedule and really isn't working out very well.  I think I'm gonna have to cancel it.  Although not required, I insist on participating in all therapies, which leaves the rest of the kiddos largely unsupervised during 1 hour of the busiest time of day.  Baseball is the only sport my kiddos participate in, and we know this father-son time is really important.  Even though we do have a sit down breakfast all together each morning, I despise not having a family dinner all together around the table, as we usually do every night.  But Tuesday's are crazy and a big pot of something that everyone can eat when they need, works best on this busy night.  I wish there was time for so much more, like exercise and reading my bible daily.  I've vowed to find time starting in the summer.   (Oh NO!  I put that in print so now I'll have to follow through!)  It's amazing that now that I look back at the list, there is so much I left out like phone calls and neighbors at the door and...

I set the camera out and told Papa and the kiddos to take pics through out the day.  So most of the images are from them.

I really would like to recommend that my bloggie friends try this too.  I'd love to see what your typical day is like!

Here it goes...

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

5:30am--  Wake up.  Pray.
5:35am--  Shower and get dressed.
6:00am--  Check email and today's schedule.  Occupational therapist has rescheduled session for Thursday.  Make breakfast. Oatmeal, honeydew, juice.
6:15am--  Jujube wakes up, sit in high chair.
6:30am--  Breakfast-- All sit at table with kiddos and hear about everyone's dream last night to include stories about Elvis, a shooting, and Sunny's heart throb.
6:50am--  Start to clean kitchen.  Realize I accidentally put the spices away in refrigerator last night.
6:52am--  Surprised to realize my lower back is killing me which is strange since it hurts me every single morning for the last 3 months at exactly this time of day.
6:53am--  Throw a hot pack in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes for my back.
6:59am--  Brush medium boys teeth- quick once over.  (which my dad would be horified that I do, but without dental insurance I'm ust not willing to risk another cavity)
7:05am--  Get Jujube out of high chair and remove brace & remind Sunny to unload dishwasher before school.

7:13am--  Load the car to get kiddos to school (they picked this odd time, not me) As they walk out the door, stand in door way and check for backpacks, lunch boxes, jackets, tied shoes, buttoned shirts, and skirt length.
7:15am--  Run back into house to get hot pack for back while in car, only to realize that I inadvertently put the hot pack in a drawer below the microwave and heated nothing in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes.
7:20am--  Drop off Livy, Patch and Boo off at school.


7:30am--  Drop off Sunny at her high school, and say a little car prayer asking God to please encourage her to actually go to before school math tutoring.
7:40am--  In car try to catch a little news on the radio only to figure out that all 3 of radio stations I normally flip through are ALL playing commercials that indicate I need to be aware of my prostate health.  Notice bottle of Tylenol on standby.
7:55am--  Arrive home and say good morning to Tess.  Papa has gotten her out of bed.
8:00am--  Dry my hair, put earrings on, try to look like a girl, while T&J jump on my bed.  Brush babes' hair.
8:10am--  Feed Tess breakfast only to realize that the dogs got the oatmeal I set aside for her, so she gets Cheerios.  Start cleaning up the kitchen and continue laundry.
8:30am--  Heat hot pack for 3 1/2 minutes in microwave.
8:33am--  Remove heat pack only to find it missing... again.
8:34am--  Heat a different heat pack in microwave.
8:35am--  Spy Jujube removing heat pack from microwave and "hiding" it under sofa cushions with 2 other heat packs, one is still warm.
8:36am--  Put "found" hot pack back in microwave for 3 1/2 minutes, and keep Jujube in my arms.
8:40am--  Sit on couch with heat pack on back and simultaneously do music therapy for Tess and flip on last night's recorded Amazing Race for background noise.
8:45am--  Kiss Papa goodbye.
9:10am--  Start music therapy for Jude --  He only listens for 8 minutes.
9:25am--  Check email.
9:40am--  Tidy babes' room, and throw in another load of laundry.  Realize that planned dinner will never work with busy schedule.  Switch dinner to chicken noodle soup, and take out frozen chicken to thaw.
11:00am-- Try to remember what happened to last 90 minutes.  Dumbfounded.
11:02am--  Feed lunch for babes--Edemame, pasta, frozen grapes, and milk, and finish cleaning kitchen and pick up laundry Jujube pulled off table and dumped on floor,  Make mental note-do not place highchairs closer than Jude's arm's length of clean laundry.
11:41am-- Babes tell me they are done with lunch, by throwing sippy cups of milk on the floor, splattering all over cabinets, floor, fresh laundry...
11:45am--  Brush babes' teeth and lay T&J down for naps.
11:50am--  Still finishing cleaning kitchen, still doing laundry, and use now thawed chicken to start dinner.  Realize Amazing Race is still playing (on TiVo loop) for a second time.
11:56am--  Tess falls asleep right away, but I notice she has taken her shirt off for some reason.  Jujube still singing in his bed.
11:58am--  Text message from Sunny.  Her math test is over, and she thinks she did ok.
12:10pm--  Jujube asleep.

12:15pm--  Lunch with Papa, extra PB&Js he made kiddos for lunch.  Make him an iced Vietnamese coffee.  (Recipe coming!)
12:45pm--  Papa returns to office.  Return to laundry (4th load today) and tiding house.
1:50pm--  Research special needs adoption and fall asleep on couch for power nap.  Amazing Race still playing on the TiVo loop.
2:30pm--  Clean game room for piano lessons.  Kiddos will be home soon!
2:45pm--  Liv and Boo get home from school after walking home from bus stop, but Patch is missing.  Worry that I'll be late to pick up Sunny from school.
2:57pm--  Get in car and drive around to find Patch who is watching hummingbirds in an open field between the bus stop and our house. Drop him off at home and wait for Boo to finish using the bathroom, (He always comes with me to pick up Sunny from school.) before we can go pick up Sunny from school.
3:03pm--  Give up waiting for Boo and ask Livy to watch him (and T&J who are still napping) while I go pick up Sunny from school.
3:14pm--Pick up Sunny from school, 14 minutes late.
3:23pm--  Arrive home with Sunny and find Livy's piano lessons underway and Tess's cognitive therapist waiting.  Sunny starts chore of putting away all laundry I didn't get put away yet.
3:22pm--  Wake Tess from from nap and participate in therapy lesson with Tess.  1 hour session.
3:30pm--  Remind boys to start homework, but without supervision there's little hope they will get much done.
3:45pm--  Look out window see Sunny and Patch burning something.  Ask self if intervention is necessary.  Not sure if I ever answer that question.
3:45pm--  Jujube wakes from nap.
4:00pm--  Ask boys to get uniforms on for baseball games.
4:20pm--  Say good bye to therapist.
4:25pm--  Feed boys and Papa chicken soup before practice.  Babes decide to eat now too.
4:45pm--  Boys and Papa leave for baseball games.
4:50pm--  Sit down with big girls for dinner and notice Boo's discarded socks, shoes and a large pile of sand on the floor.
5:15pm--  Go outside with babes to play and swinging therapy. (20 min. of swinging every day)  Livy joins us outside to play.
6:00pm--  Turn on tunes and shake our groove thing!  Get out the camera to capture the love.  mini-prayer-thank God for such wonderful moments.  (That's sunlight beaming through the front door, capturing the dust particles in the air.)
6:30pm--  Bath time for babes.  Put my and Papa's laundry away while they play in the tub. My closet is by the bathroom.
6:45pm--  Ask Sunny to do Patch's chore and help Livy clean kitchen.  Ignore obvious teen disapproval.
7:00pm--  Bedtime for babes.  Put on Jujube braces and do "spinning" (a type of therapy for sensory issues done once a day)
7:10pm--  Boys come home and Papa finishes putting babes to bed while I collapse on couch.  Patch's team lost 22-3.  Boo's division doesn't keep score.  They won 24-8.
7:10pm--  Patch and Boo eat second dinner-Thankfully soup isn't put away yet.
7:40pm--  Boys get ready for bed.
8:00pm--  Boys do homework.  Quiz both boys on their spelling words, and check websites to see if all their homework is done.  Boo REALLY has trouble tonight doing his homework this late.  It takes far too long.  Papa helps Patch study for a test.
8:50pm--  Boo finishes homework, and Papa tucks him into bed.  Patch continues homework after mama finds a couple missing assignments.
9:10pm--  Papa snoring on couch.
9:15pm--  Insist that Papa go to bed.  He complies.  Check Patch's writing homework.  Missing many parts.  Patch continues homework.
9:20pm--  Patch starts to melt down.  Mama starts to melt down.  Pray.
9:22pm--  Tell Patch he's so awesome for working so hard on this busy day.  And we'll get done, what we can get done for only 30 more minutes.  Get some great ideas for his writing project, and he works very well for last 30 minutes.
10:00pm--  Tell Patch he's done a great job tonight, and it's time to go to bed even if homework isn't complete.  If there's time before school tomorrow, he can do more tomorrow morning.
10:07pm--  Quiet mama time!  All are asleep but me!  Think that I should go to bed.  Flip on "19 kids and Counting," and reflect that 6 kiddos isn't really that many in comparison.  Sit on couch and flip through favorite blogs.  Veg!
10:30pm--  Think I really should go to bed, but this quiet is so nice!
10:45pm--  Go to bed... rather think about going to bed.  Stay on couch still veggin'
11:00pm--  No really, I'm gonna go to bed now!  Turn off tv and close laptop.  Put dogs out.  Make sure rat has food and water.  Turn all the lights off.  Make sure dishwasher is running.  Lock exterior doors.  Make sure garage door is closed.  Check to see that boys have put baseball uniforms in dirty clothes basket.  Make sure teens have put cell phones away in kitchen basket.  Last peek at kiddos sleeping.  After seeing condition of boy's bedroom, try to figure out when they'll find time to clean their room before cleaning day tomorrow and give up trying to figure that out.  Change into jammies.  Wash face and brush teeth.  Think flossing is grossly overrated for adults.  Take cholesterol med.  Hop into bed.  Pray.

7 comments:

  1. you washed your face after that day. i am impressed.

    also, i am noticing a big theme of teamwork between you and Papa....

    makes me wonder if I've lost my marbles because my hubby travels A LOT and even when he's not is certainly not home before 8 or 9.

    how will I ever manage to do this flying solo???

    i love this day record keeping. when i actually get up and at 'em, i vow to do this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. the pics are awesome. i love the dust shots, and the sand on the floor shot.

    PPS. I am totally in love with your boy names. Jude and Patrick were both on my list when Mark was born (we didn't know he was a boy and he remained nameless for 3 days of his life)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three things occur to me after reading this post: 1)your kids take terrifically long naps,2) you and papa have terrifically long goodbye kisses in the morning, and 3)"the crazy 8" has one terrific life. Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci-Papa being home by 5:30 most every night was "negotiated" before I said yes to marriage. He has stayed true to his word, but as a part of the deal, he can leave for work as early as he likes. In the past it has been 3:30-4:00am. Sadly, work isn't too busy these days. He doesn't travel much at all.
    Would love to see your day too, even if most of it is in bed! So would your kiddos later on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle- Yes, all my kiddos have always taken long naps, about 3 hours, (with the exception of Patch who is just too squirrelly too sleep that long!) and go to bed earlier than most, 6:30ish. But they do get up early. This was a HUGE nap for Jude. Just odd that day. I wish I was as serious about exercise habits as I am about sleep habits!
    That kiss! I'm just gonna pretend it happened they way you think. It's MUCH better your way!
    Yes, it is an awesome, busy, crazy life! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day is crazy busy, but I was oh so jealous to read the time that Tess wakes, and then how she took a nap of all things so shortly after that. What am I doing wrong?!?! And geesh, I'm happy you found the hot packs. I recently knew that I washed Gene's gym shorts and could not find them for the life of me. I woke up Marissa and searched her room, searched the entire house and then vowed to Gene that I would buy NEW ones and get them to him in time.
    Guess where they were?
    The dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm exhausted after reading this! :) Again, I am in awe of how you do it all - and so well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011