slide show

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hometown-Part 2 In Which God Shows the Light

This one is for Gayle... who I thought might like a little bit of cowtown from so very far away.

I think I've mentioned that Papa and I are from a wonderful Norman-Rockwell small town in the mountains, Prescott, Arizona. In this little town I grew up, walked to school, and was in the 4th of July parade every year. My mom was a teacher. My dad was a fireman. I drove a 1970 VW bug when I got my driver's license, got my first kiss behind the school, and met Papa in the high school cafeteria. Being raised in this community was such a blessing. It was such a wonderful combination of home, and community, and someone who knew my dad or mom at every turn. Couldn't get away with much.

Prescott now has the slogan that says it's Everybody's Hometown as seen here. That kinda irks me. It's MY hometown, and I'm not so sure that I'm ready to share it with just anybody and everybody.

Prescott has been around since the mid-1800's and has been the capital of Arizona a couple times. It sits at 5300' and has four seasons. It has a quaint town square and courthouse complete with gazebo. It's really so stero-typical Mayberry! Each Christmas season for 55 years now, Christmas lights are strung all over the town's square and court house. And on the first Saturday evening in December, the school children bundle up, gather on the court house steps, and the town's people join them to sing Christmas carols. I mean really! You expect Andy and Aunt Bee to stroll by at any moment! Then like one of those wonderful little moments that you want to freeze in time and hold your children a little closer, all the Christmas lights on the courthouse turn on all at once. Symbolically, they always turn on during Joy to the World.
So here we all are, bundled up all together, singing our hearts out and remembering the reason for the season.  He has been so very good to us. 
Merry Christmas All!

In the spirit of The Andy Griffith Show and for the readers that stuck around to the end, I'll leave you with an especially touching quote from Barney-
Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?
That's gonna have me giggling ALL day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this one! It's good to see they still carry on the traditions and that your kids can be there. Remember square dancing at the plaza during the summer?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011