slide show

Sunday, November 22, 2009

The last of fall




Papa and I grew up in an ideallic Norman-Rockwell small town.  It is about 5300' and has four seasons with a mild winter but an occasional snow.  It's only 90 minutes away, and I miss it.  Not sure I was cut out for this city life.  More on that later.  Maybe much more.


This week, we pulled our big girls out of school and drove up there to visit my mom among various other things.  Again, more on that later.

Grammy had raked the last of the leaves into a pile and the little ones got to play in the fall. Here in the desert, the leaves turn in Janurary.  We wear shorts and flip-flops year round.  It's odd.  So the excursion was just what we needed to enjoy the crispness of the season.

























Going home is always a little Freudian for me.  You know how you walk in the door of the home you grew up in, and everything seems a bit smaller.  Yet you feel so comfortable and at ease.  So home.  Does that happen to anyone else?

Anyway, my papa, (not to be confused with my husband, Papa) is a collector of many things... old things, things with stories, things under appreciated, pretty things and dirty things. And just wandering around my childhood home, perusing all the things made me reflect on how quickly time passes, yet stay the same all at the same time.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me where the license plate is from!  And a free trip for two to the Grand Caymans for the first person who can correctly identify to make and model of the car, (...a car that was kinda intertwined with my childhood, and NO!  Once you figure out how old the car is, I'm not THAT old!) Air fare included!  Not really.  Just a brownie point which my kiddos still eagerly compete for!

I'm a Pepper!  He's a Pepper!  She's a Pepper!  Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?












The trip left me nostalgic, knowing that "snow days" were just around the corner and my big girls had no idea what a "snow day" even was.
"You mean to tell me they might just CANCEL school if it snows?"
Suddenly, this small town didn't seem half bad!

1 comment:

  1. You're tugging at my heartstrings with this one! I miss Cowtown too. And I think that's a Mexican plate on the car(?). Great post, great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011